Chapter 7 - Breaking Trust

××Stormy××

The sound of an arrow ripping from the bark of a tree was familiar now. One I had heard many times over the past four months.

I brushed my hands over the barely there red X. It had almost been completely chipped away by the arrows that had been embedded inside of it. Bits of slightly black-painted wood chips sat at the bottom of the trunk.

"Let's go back to the cabin." Fallow huffed behind me in understanding, lowering to make it easier for me to climb on.

He took off once I was secure, winding his way through the trees easily. It was a path we had taken many, many times. As we came over the last grouping of trees, I spotted something near the edge of my shared cabin.

I pulled against Fallows reins gently. He took the hint and slowed down, hovering slightly behind the trees. I knew Fallow wouldn't be able to hover for very long since his powers of flight were much more easily controlled during movement but I didn't want to alarm the two people outside my temporary home.

I narrowed my eyes when I realized Niton was standing outside with another man. Even from here, I could see the anger on Niton's face. His eyebrows were drawn together and his hands were clenched into tight fists. All telltale signs. It was directed at the stranger covered in a dark cloak. There were no other features showing to speak of.

"You have to give me more time," Niton growled, his voice echoing in the silent clearing. He looked seconds from beating the man next to him.

"You have two days, Niton, then we are moving on the forest. Do not waste them." The man spoke in a gruff, emotionless tone. It was much harder to hear him from this distance.

Niton glared as the man held out a gray skinned hand. Nitons glare only got harsher as he held out his own hand. Placed on his palm, looked to be a small vial filled with dark liquid. Long gray fingers closed around the vile tightly, securely.

The man disappeared in a cloud of black smoke with one last look at Niton. It was only a few moments, less than a second but his eyes were visible. Deep red orbs, such a familiar shade it was startling. Ashes fluttered to the ground where they slowly blended into the dirt. Niton glared at the spot for a few more moments before glancing around, almost as if he could feel my gaze on the side of his head.

I ducked down just in case. Though I was almost sure I was completely concealed behind the tree leaves. I waited a few moments before peeking my head out.

Niton was heading inside our little cabin, the dark vial clutched tightly in his grip. I waited until he had stepped inside fully and shut the door behind him before sitting up comfortably on Fallows back.

Fallow grunted and I understood he was getting tired from flying in the same spot for so long. I pet behind his ears as I spoke.

"Thanks buddy. Take us to the cabin," I said, taking hold of his reins.

Fallow swooped up to miss the tree top before swiftly dropping down. He kicked up dirt around us as he landed. I slipped off his side and led him to the small stall Niton and I had built for him. He trotted in without complaint, settling himself down into the grass for a well deserved rest. I refilled his troff with fresh hay before walking back around the cabin side towards the front door.

I stopped outside the plain door, trying to decide what my next course of action should be. On one hand, I could go in there and confront him. On the other, I could wait for him to say something, if he ever decided to. Him deciding to wasn't likely considering he held his meeting with that stranger when I was gone. My train of thought was paused as I winced, one of my teeth piercing my bottom lip from the worry.

I was supposed to be able to trust him. At least, I thought we were at the point of trust. I thought we were close, but he was clearly hiding something from me. Seemingly something big.

I jumped back and almost out of my skin when the front door opened. I raised my eyes up and found Nitons gaze to be trained on my slightly cut bottom lip.

I watched him take a deep breath before his gaze traveled upwards and met mine. As soon as they did, a sly smirk planted itself on his face. A look I had grown very accustomed to. It was still annoying but a lot less intimidating.

"What are you standing out here for? Usually you can't wait to see me," Niton teased. His words caused a blush to ignite. The redness only edged him on. He leaned closer, clearly waiting for my response.

I opened my mouth to bite back at him but I quickly shut it when I remembered what I saw. My eyes met his with a hard look. I wanted him to take the initiative and tell me what his secret was, but I wasn't going to be nice to him in the meantime.

"Are you okay?" Niton asked after a moment of silence, standing himself up straight instead of leaning against the door frame. His concern overrode his playfulness.

"I'm fine," I said, pushing past him and quickly changing the subject. "I think I'm getting better with my bow and moving shots."

"That's really great," Niton said excitedly, rambling along about how I've learned fast. I only nodded my head along before sitting down at the kitchen table.

An awkward moment passed us by as Niton stood staring at me and I sat staring at the table. I didn't know what to say to him. I couldn't stop thinking about the man in the dark cloak.

"Do you want to train a bit together? You've been gone all morning," Niton asked, setting a hand on the table in front of me to grab my attention.

I sighed, "Sure."

There was a pause.

"I'll meet you outside, okay?" Niton said softly, letting his hand gently run through my messy hair before he was walking out the door. I gazed after him, keeping silent. I couldn't stop the blush from forming on my cheeks at the sweet gesture. Sure, he teased me but a real relationship popped into my mind when he did things like that.

He left the door cracked, expecting me to follow after him soon. It let a slight breeze into the cabin that helped sooth my nerves. I stood up slowly, once again bringing my lip into my mouth. He acted as if nothing was wrong.

I guess it was up to me to figure things out while I waited for him to tell me on his own. I made my way to the door and plastered a fake smile on. I didn't need him suspecting something more than he already did and trying to pry.

-----
Sucky end, idk