Chapter 14 - The Fire and The Gem

××Stormy××

The smoke tightened around him painfully and I screamed as he was yanked forward.

"Niton!" My voice fell on the wind, barely reaching my own ears as a fiery blaze erupted around me.

"You really thought this puney human could beat me? I'll burn her alive for your insolence," Raum seemed almost exhausted at the idea that I could defeat him. Niton yelled my name but I barely heard it as the fire grew. I coughed, my vision blurring as Niton was carried away and Raums attention went back to the king and elemental fairies attacking his defensive demons.

I dropped down, panicking as the pressure set in. Everyone was counting on me to finish this. My family was out there fighting for me, fighting for our home. Niton was being dragged away by a monster. And I was going to die in a fire. Tears pricked my eyes and I felt helpless again. I was back in my room watching the rest of my family train without me, fight without me.

A burning branch hit my arm, causing me to yelp and snap out of my nightmarish vision. I didn't want to go back to that. I drug my sleeve across my eyes, whiping away the ash in the hopes of clearing my vision. My skin burned when I stood and approached the edge of the ring of fire Raum had created around me. I could faintly see the high demon and Niton through the ash falling from the sky. It would have to be enough.

My mind went to Niton, envisioning him in my mind, envisioning his magic. The shadows, the darkness, the power. I hoped he could feel me asking for the gift of it. I held my breath as I lifted my bow and began drawing it back. I almost passed out when a shadowy arrow materialized as I pulled against the string. I held it for a few seconds, lining it up with what I could see of Raums head. 

I struggled to find something, anything to line my shot up with. His horns, hair, and skin all blended in with the rain of fire and dark ash. Then something caught the light. A red gem in the middle of his forehead and I let loose, not waiting a second.

I dropped to my knees immediately after, the heat overwhelming me. I listened to a piercing scream, one of a demon. I wasn't sure it was Raum until minutes later arms were wrapping around me and pulling me from the fire. I opened my eyes, blinking rapidly, to find Niton already looking down at me in worry.

"Did I get him?" I asked, coughing afterwards.

"Yeah, you did." Niton smiled warily. I tried to smile back but the adrenalin was wearing off. I was starting to feel the affects of the fire on my body.

Lavender came into view above me, her hands pressing painfully against my burnt skin.

"I'm sorry," her soft voice whispered over and over as her magic forced new skin to grow. A physical connection made the magic much stronger, almost painful as it healed much quicker. It wasn't long before I was losing consciousness and the jumble of voices around me faded into nothing.

When I came too, I instantly felt the strain on my body. It took me what felt like hours to finally pry my eyes open. I found myself staring up at a very familiar wooden ceiling. Sitting up slowly, a groan left my lips. It was then that I noticed the bandages covering my body, some parts stained red.

Quick footsteps were heard outside my bedroom door before it was pushed open, revealing my worried mom. Her hair was pulled up in a messy bun and she looked tired but as her eyes traveled over my form, she relaxed.

"How are you feeling Stormcloud?" She spoke, quietly tredding over to my bed.

"Not the best," I laughed dryly. She didn't seem to find it funny.

"What happened?" I couldn't remember anything past firing my arrow at Raum.

"We were fighting the demons when the high demon started screaming and then they all disintegrated. Niton later told us it was you who made the shot," My dad explained, coming in from the hallway. He looked proud and I had to choke back a sob at the sight.

"They are still in the process of healing the forest right now. You've only been out for a few hours thanks to Lavender." Moms words had me glancing down at my bandaged arms and body. The cloth went all the way from my hands up to my shoulders. I had more than one area around my chest covered in the stuff and I could feel the fabric wrapped around my legs.

"The burns were bad Stormy. She couldn't heal everything," Mom said sympathetically. I just smiled. I didn't mind scars. It was sad it would take so long for me to heal though.

"What happened to Raum?" I questioned. The smaller demons had disappeared but I wasn't sure if he had. I had lost all sight of him after making my shot.

"We assume he's dead. When we finally cleared the fires away, he was gone and the gem on his head was on the ground broken into pieces. Niton says he is but I don't trust him," Dad stated, crossing his arms as he spoke Nitons name.

"Where is he? Niton, did he make it?" I worried outloud. I had secretly hoped he would be the one coming up the stairs to see me. Mom and Dad shared a worried look which only added to my unease.

"We aren't exactly sure. He disappeared when we began extinguishing the fires, after making sure you made it here," Mom said softly, a look of sympathy in her large golden eyes. I dropped my gaze. It was hard to believe that he would just leave, after telling me he loved me. But maybe he realized he was finally free and didn't need me. The thought hurt.

"Stormy, I know you ran away because you didn't feel like you fit in. Like you were somehow less than your siblings." Dads words had me snapping my head upwards, eyes meeting his in seconds. I had never expected to hear those words from his mouth. I glanced to Mom, her eyes were downcast, looking away.

"I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry thats how we, I, made you feel," Dad started again, dropping down to kneel beside the bed and taking my hand in his. "It is true you aren't gifted with swords and knives but you don't have to be. I know I'm hard on all you kids but you don't have to be anything but you."

I smiled softly, sadly, "I don't seem to be much good at anything."

"Bullshit."

"Zypher!" Dad paid Moms outburst no mind and continued.

"I for one know you are a gifted wood carver. I've seen the things you've created," His eyes wandered to the bookshelf in my room that was lined with small carved animals, "And your fighting skills, Stormy you were amazing out there today. That was all you. I didn't teach you that. I couldn't have done that. I love you Stormcloud. I need you to know that no matter what you do, you'll always be part of this family. And you will always be amazing in our eyes."

At the end of Dads speech, I could feel the tear beginning to fall. Dads lips qwirked upwards as I reached forward, straining the injuries but not caring. He wrapped his arms around me, meeting me halfway. It wasn't long before Moms arms joined the embrace.

×××××

The rest of the day was spent in rest. Mom refused to allow me to walk on my own, despite Lavender assuring us all that my wounds would heal. Dew, Finch, and Dion all stopped by my room to see me or bring me meals the next few days. Mom wouldn't let them all see me in one day and for that I was thankful; I was not a people person.

A week passed without any appearance of Niton. I began to believe that he had chosen to leave now that he was free. I tried to go about my days as normal. Mom would bring me meals. Dew would sneak me snacks. Finch and Lavender would tell me all about what I was missing. Dion and Dad would help me sneak out to get a little bit of air and not so safely practice with the bow.

The movement of my arms hurt and sometimes I wondered if it was even worth it. The action only brought my mind back to Niton. It was with this practice that I realized the bow Niton had given me was gone along with him.

It was as if he had never existed at all. 

-----
Ending??? Idk 
I also added in a bit where Zypher opens up some, and if you read the first book, that's out of character for him so makes it important obviously