Chapter 12 - Demonic Betrayal

××Stormy××

As we neared the edge of the forest, little fires came into view and signs of magic began to grow in frequency. I directed Fallow towards it. When we got close enough, he dropped down between the trees, effortlessly switching from flying to running, only sending a small jolt through his riders. Sounds of battle could now be heard. Fallow led us right to the battlefield.

It was pure chaos when we entered the burned clearing. Faries flew through the air, throwing balls of magic in the direction of smaller demons. They were spawning from the ground, floating up through black portals appearing in the area.

I halted Fallow just as one came at us. Nitons arm lifted up alongside my head, his palm facing towards the winged creature. Black energy blasted the monster back seconds later, disintegrating half of it as it hit the ground. My eyes widened as I looked back at Niton. He ignored my look and slid off of Fallow. I followed suit.

I sent Fallow in the other direction as we went towards the fight. His horns could be used as a great stabbing weapon but he had too many blind spots against these small flying creatures and I didn't want to risk it.

I pulled my bow out in front of me and began taking shots as Nitons dark sword materialized. Together we advanced into the fight. With each slash and shot and downed demon, it was like two more appeared. It wasn't easy to dodge them either. Scratches and bites began littering my skin. They had been avoiding Niton as much as possible though so he was cut free.

"How are we meant to stop them if they just keep coming?" I yelled, aiming at a demon just past Niton. I took the shot, just barely grazing his ear. He turned a disapproving look on me. I only smiled and aimed once again.

"Raum is here, on the island. If we kill him, we kill them all," Niton explained, flaying a demon.

"He's the source."

"Exactly."

"Then let's find him."

We progressed deeper in, both of us assuming Raum would be at the center of all the action. Numerous faries flew by, many taking a second glance at Niton until they saw him kill a demon himself. I kept one eye out for my family at all times. I knew at least Mom, Dad, Dion, and Finch would be out here fighting.

I jumped when I heard the clang of metal on metal behind me. I spun around after taking out the demon that was coming towards me from above.

Standing behind me was my father, his sword clashing against Nitons, a dark look in his eyes.

"Dad! Stop!" His eyes didn't move from Nitons form but I saw the barely there hesitancy.

"He's one of them Stormy," He growled.

"He is on our side. Please, trust me," I begged. I didn't want either of them to be wounded, especially not by each other.

My dads eyes finally shifted to look at me, narrowing in on the bow in my hands. He let up, his sword arm dropping to his side as he jumped back a few steps to be out of Niton's immediate range. Dad side eyed Niton as he approached me, grabbing my arm as soon as he was close enough.

"Where have you been?" He barked.

"Is this really the time to discuss this?" I asked. As if on que, a swarm of little demons came towards us, lighting the leaves above our heads on fire as they dived. We all went at them. Dad and Niton with their swords and me with my bow.

"Is Mom here?" I asked, shooting down a monster.

"Somewhere. Couldn't keep up with her," He grumbled, slamming his body into a small demon to knock it from the sky.

"Well demon boy," Dad spit out, "Since you're here, mind telling me why the main baddie is sending out these small creatures? There's a lot of them but they're barely a threat. More annoying than anything."

"He's saving his energy for something big, using these little demons to distract us while he charges whatever it is up."

That stopped Dad in his tracks.

"You sound like you know." His stare hit Niton. Niton looked at me. I sighed.

"This isn't the time." I pushed Dads chest and got us moving again. Once again going towards the center, taking them out as we went. They seemed to get bigger as we got further in. More abundant too. We didn't stop though. There was only one way to finish this.

A flash of red caught my eye as it fell through the sky and we all turned at the distant familiar yell. Mom fell from the sky, her fiery wings hitting the dirt as demons clung to her.

Dad was suddenly gone from my side, leaving residual dark smoke on the ground as he disappeared. He reappeared next to her side, a fist already around a demons throat. We raced over to help but it was almost for nothing. Dad had taken out enough to free Mom, who killed the rest on her own. He pulled her closer, checking her for any fatal wounds as she waved him off.

She turned at the sound of our footsteps crushing burnt grass. Her eyes widened and then she was pushing Dad away, opening her arms and tugging me into a hug. Dad just grumbled, inspecting her wings now that she was turned away from him.

"You are in so much trouble," She breathed.

"I know."

"I missed you," She gave me one last tight squeeze, "Now get out of here."

"What?" I asked, my brows furrowing.

"You shouldn't be in the battlefield at all. You don't know what you are doing," She said, looking at Zypher for backup.

"She's been using a bow. Using a bow really well." For the first time, his defense was in favor of me. Mom and Dad shared a look I'd never understand and then she nodded.

"Has King Oberon been able to make an advancement on the High Demon?" Dad asked.

"He's protecting himself with bigger demons. The king has one shot with his full power so we are cutting through the bigger ones until we get to the High Demon but they just keep coming." Mom explained, throwing a flaming ball of fire at an oncoming group of demons.

"Raum will not be easy to beat," Niton chimed in.

"So you are on a first name basis with the thing," Dad laughed, no real humor behind it.

"Yes," He admitted, "but that also means I know how to kill him."

-----
Zyphers a protective papa