Chapter 1 - The Family Failure

××Stormy××

"Watch your balance!" Dad yelled from the sidelines, just as my younger brother Finch swiped my feet out from under me. I landed on the grass with a resounding slam. The air was knocked out of me but I began picking myself up, knowing in a real fight I wouldn't have time to recuperate.

Finch was already waiting with his enchanted axe drawn but made no move to attack, only stared at me with an eyebrow raised.

"What are you looking at?" I barked. Finch didn't answer but shifted his eyes behind me. I turned, spotting my weapon lying on the ground. I briefly glanced at my hand, shocked I hadn't even realized I wasn't holding the swords hilt.

I swirled around and launched myself at the weapon. As soon as my fingers had a grip, I turned over and held it out. It was too late, as one of the sharp edges of Finch's axe was already at my neck.

"Good job Finch," Dad said, setting a hand on his shoulder, "Take a break."

"Thanks." Finch stalked off, immediately being approached by his girlfriend Lavender, a glass of water held in her hand. Dad's attention turned to me on the ground.

"That was better," He said, offering a hand. I ignored it and pushed myself up, a frown on my face.

"You are lying," I grit out, dusting dirt off of my black pants. Dad shook his head but didn't openly deny the accusation with words.

"You need to keep a firm grip on your weapon, whether it be a knife, sword, axe, whatever. Dropping it can mean life or death," Dad lectured, taking out his own long knife.

"I already know that."

"You aren't using the knowledge," He countered.

"Yes I am!" I yelled back.

"Then prove it." His knife swung out, aimed at me. I brought my sword up quickly, stopping the blow. We struggled for a moment before he overpowered my force and knocked me back. I thankfully stayed on my feet.

A few clashes of metal later and my sword was knocked from my hand. Dad didn't give me a chance to retrieve it and had his knife at my throat in seconds.

"This is pointless if you won't even give me a chance!" I shouted, taking a step back to disconnect the knife from my neck.

"I am giving you a chance. You aren't taking it. That's enough for today," He finalized, sheathing his knife. I threw my hands up in the air, clearly frustrated.

"Fine!" I didn't bother going back for my sword and brushed past Dad, a glare set on my face. I threw open the front door, startling Mom who was working on lunch.

"Stormy?" She began, "What's wrong?" She put down the pan she was using and tried to follow me up the stairs.

"Just leave me alone," I growled out, taking the stairs two at a time. Mom's footsteps paused and then faded as she walked the other way. I stalked into my room, slamming my door behind me.

I could feel the tears push behind my eyes and as hard as I tried to keep them in, they began to fall. I jumped into my bed and pulled the blankets over my head, shoving my face into a pillow. My muffled cries floated through the room and I desperately hoped no one could hear it.

I shouldn't be crying over this. It was stupid. I just couldn't get the hang of fighting. Not in the slightest. After eighteen years of training, I couldn't master a single weapon. Unlike my brothers who seemed to be perfect at anything they tried. Even Dew, the youngest of the four of us, had her talents in healing and magic.

I had nothing.

I shoved my head further into my pillow and tried to take a deep breath.

××××

When my eyes opened again, it was dark out. The moon shined through my window and illuminated the knife sitting on my nightstand. It was simple steel but had an intricate black handle, a gift from Dad on my sixth birthday.

Mom was very much against it but Dad knew how excited I was and fought for me, in the end winning Mom over and convincing her to let me keep it.

I sat up in bed, my thoughts backtracking to earlier in the day. Maybe my problem was that Dad wasn't teaching me well enough. I've been trying my hardest for years and despite everyone telling me it just takes time, I haven't improved.

I needed a different teacher.

With that thought in mind, I stood from my bed. I dug a backpack out of my closet and began shoving clothes inside. I strapped my gifted knife to my belt and rolled a blanket up, attaching it to the top of the backpack.

I lit a candle and slowly opened my door, cringing each time it creaked. I popped my head out and scanned the hallway. When I saw no one, I crept out of my room, closing the door behind me.

I found my way downstairs and into the kitchen. Opening one of the cabinets, I collected a canteen full of water and a couple fruits. Shoving it all into my bag, I slung it onto my back and made my way towards the front door.

I rounded the side of the house, using the candle's light to find my way to the small stables. I skipped by the family warp weasels and stopped at the third stable. My reindeer stood at attention at the sight of me, walking towards the door when I reached out.

"Hey Fallow," I whispered, scratching behind his ear. He huffed and shoved his wet nose into my face. I smiled and pushed him away. Unlocking the gate, I swung the door open, releasing Fallow into the yard. I grabbed his reins and saddle, setting him up for the trip.

He stayed still, letting me strap everything in place without any issues. I briefly glanced up at the tree, finding all the windows in the house dark. Shaking my head, I led Fallow around to the front of the house.

I paused when I noticed a short figure standing out in the yard.

-----
If you haven't read "You Owe Me Two" you probably should. This story has reoccurring characters and while it can probably be read as a standalone, i think it helps to read the first book. But also idk if you need to know anything bc I haven't really written all this book yet

Update 2022, prolly should read first book