Chapter 10 - Confrontation and Confession

××Stormy××

I brought my arms up around myself tighter as the cold air hit my bare skin. It only took a moment for my eyes to adjust to the darkness around me. At the moment, clouds were blocking out the multiple moons' light, leaving the world shadowed. I took a turn and met Fallows' curious gaze. He had hay hanging from his mouth as he slowly chewed. Clearly I had interrupted his midnight snack.

"Hey buddy," I whispered. He nosed into my shoulder, sensing my distress.

I couldn't get the scene between Niton and the strange man out of my mind. I constantly played it over and over in my head as I tried to decipher it further. I hadn't built up the courage to ask Niton, and I'd given up on trying to get him to spill his secrets himself. I didn't have much patience and I couldn't waste time myself. Whatever was supposed to happen, was going to happen tomorrow.

Maybe I was just afraid of what it could be, of what everything could mean. Of what might happen when I asked. I didn't want him to suddenly begin pushing me away. It had taken both of us a long time to begin trusting each other and even talk seriously to each other instead of just joking and teasing.

"I need to clear my head a little. Wanna come hunt with me?" I questioned, leaving the option open for him. It was the middle of the night, a time when most would be asleep, and I wasn't going to force Fallow to be awake.

Fallow made his way out of the stall without hesitation, and I smiled, closing it behind him. I readjusted the bow Niton had given me and arrows we made together as Fallow and I walked away from the quiet cabin. I had peeked into Niton's room before I left and found him fast asleep. I would be free to roam in silence, without the worry of him bothering me about what I was doing.

The dark woods ahead didn't scare me any longer. I knew them like the back of my hand. The monsters I had seen since arriving at the cabin had been easy kills or nonexistant. I had planted red X's across many different trees in the forest and most animals had figured out where those trees were, so I took the path away from that area.

I stalked into the woods, my footsteps becoming quieter as I honed in on the sounds around me. Fallow's footsteps made no noise along with mine. He understood that hunting required silence and had learned quickly alongside me. His slow breaths blended in with the quiet wind.

The woods were eerily silent tonight. I couldn't hear a single squirrel in the trees or a rabbit running along in the brush. Every few seconds a cricket would sound off but that seemed to be it. As I got closer to the small creek running through the woods, I expected to hear frogs croaking but they were quiet as well. The forest seemed to be as uneasy as me.

The breeze rustled the leaves above me and stopped me in my tracks as I looked up. The clouds had moved along with the winds help, allowing the moons and shining stars to appear. They cast a soft glow across the forest.

I tensed. Rustling came from behind me, too loud to be a small animal. Fallow didn't seem to care though and that's what set my mind in motion.

I swiveled around and glared at the area I believed the sound to have come from. As I took a step closer to investigate, the rustling started again but this time, on the side I had been looking at before.

I groaned and turned again. I leveled my gaze at the trees. Specifically the area between two trees where I could barely make out two twinkling dark red orbs.

"I know it's you Niton," I leveled, crossing my arms.

In seconds, Niton was stepping out of the shadowed brush, knocking a few leaves off his clothes as he got closer. I made sure my glare showed my annoyance clearly.

"You're no fun," Niton pouted. I only shrugged in response.

"Why are you out this late?" Niton questioned, setting a hand on Fallow in greeting. He gave his flank a gentle pat as Fallow trotted towards some leaves that must have looked tasty to him.

"I could ask you the same thing," I retorted, readjusting my bow on my shoulder again. Anything to focus on instead of Niton.

"I'm a nighttime creature," Niton countered, a smirk setting in place on his angled face. The shadows from the moons cast a dark shadow on one side, giving him a completely mysterious and mischievous look.

It was tempting to bark back but his words only brought my mind back to what I had seen a few days ago. The stranger Niton was talking to was no doubt a night creature as well. His whole aura had shouted darkness. Niton had never admitted to being any species before but plenty of comments had hinted to something I didn't want to believe and instead tried to ignore.

A quiet moment passed with Niton and I both staring intensely at each other. It was Niton who broke the silence I had accidently created by ignoring his taunting.

"I actually have something I would like to speak with you about," Niton started, his gaze flickering away and back a few times. He was nervous.

"I also need to talk about something. Something that's been on my mind a lot actually," I said, taking a step closer. Niton moved to erase even more distance between us. My cheeks flushed at our proximity, but I couldn't let myself forget my goal. My entire reason for needing to speak to him.

Another moment of silence. This time caused by both parties.

"I love you. I have for a while."
"Who was that man at the cabin?"

Our words jumbled out at the exact same moment, both statements crumbling at the end due to the others' words.

My breath hitched as I searched Niton's eyes, frozen in place. He loved me. A giddy feeling bubbled inside my chest and threatened to escape my mouth in similar words. His eyes caused that feeling to pop. There wasn't love in them any longer. Only shock and worry. I took a couple steps back to make distance, regaining my composure.

"What?" Niton breathed, attempting to sound confused. His shock had yet to wear off.

"You know what I said. Tell me who he was," I growled, pushing my topic first.

"I'm not sure what you are talking about," Niton mumbled, his eyes barely able to meet mine now. He was lying straight through his sharp teeth.

"There's no point in lying. I know I saw something you're trying to hide from me."

What's the point of lying when I clearly saw something? He was only making it worse for himself.

I leaned down and caught Niton's gaze. For the first time since I met him, he actually looked scared. That only solidified the fact that the man was something important and something I definitely wasn't supposed to know about.

"I deserve to know Niton. Whatever it is, you either tell me or I'm leaving."

-----
I guess that's an ending