Chapter 8: Separated

Tubbo's POV:

"I miss L'Manberg, Tommy"

Tommy and I have been out in Logstedshire for a full month now, and it has been nothing but fun. Well, it has been freezing too, but that could be dealt with. When it became unbearably cold, Tommy and I could huddle up under a thick, wooly blanket in front of the camp fire. We would stargaze, watch Dolphins enjoy themselves and talk about the most random things.

Tonight was one of those nights. The sky was clear of clouds, a good breather after a few days of nonstop pouring rain. The ocean was still reacting to the previous storm with roars of ashy, grey water that stretched for the tent. Even though the star-sprinkled sky was clear, it was freezing cold, the temperature being the aftermath of the storm.

Tommy sparked up the campfire and I draped the soft yellow blanket around our shoulders. I pulled my corner closer to my chest. We sat in a comforting silence, the orange light flickering gently and cracking a soft heartbeat. I started dosing off, my vision fading to a blur of bright orange.

We needed this. We needed some time to ourselves, some time to recover from everything. We were lucky enough that we were granted that time. We both were looking significantly better than what we did in the Kingdom. Now that we recovered, it was time to go back. Wasn't it?

I attempted to wake myself up. I said my statement to get the conversation going. I needed to discuss the situation with my best friend. Tommy said we would go back, we just needed a little break. Right?

"Yeah, me too Big Man" Tommy replied. He was leaned back on his elbows, the blanket clinging onto his shoulder. His mischievous smile was directed to the sky, his bright blue eyes closed. His face masked a massive grin, despite the topic we were discussing.

"Tommy, when are we going back?" I asked. The small breeze suddenly picked up and swept through the fire, attempting to put it out. It failed, only swaying the fire to the side before the flames swung back. The air suddenly got tense and I saw Tommy stiffen and sit upright.

Why would he act like that?

Tommy muttered something that sounded like a single word under his breath, and just gazed into the fire. I've never seen him like this. Hesitant. Distant.

"What was that?" I asked, clearly both concerned and confused. Why would he hesitate? The Dream Empire is our home. Sure, it was hell at times but it doesn't change the fact that it's home. He thinks the same of it... right?

"I said soon" Tommy harshly stated. His eyes met mine and they seemed to flicker with the fire. Like sparks threatening to grow into uncontrollable burning blue flames that could never be extinguished. But as soon as they came they disappeared, switching back to it's usual blue that reminded me of a small pond in beautiful flower oasis, trickling with fresh, cool water.

This... This isn't Tommy. Tommy doesn't hesitate when it comes to his home. Tommy's heart is too big for his body, he thinks with it rather than his brain. He loves things and misses them dearly. He doesn't give up. Not on anything. Not on L'Manberg, Not on hope, Not on the discs, Not on me, Not on Wilbur. And especially, not on his home.

Despite my doubts on him, I have to stay strong. I always have do. "Why not? We both miss it, and we both have pretty much recovered" I said. I wanted to go home. Sure it was fun out here but there is a saying that I have heard a hundred times 'There is no place like home'. "Besides, the others are probably worried sick about us"