🌼1🌼

'It's already 5:15. He's not coming.'

As if in answer to my thoughts, there was a knock on my door.

Sighing, I looked away from my phone. "Come in."

Tim walked into my room. "Dad called. He says I should tell you that he won't be able to see you before you leave, but he has sent a driver to take you."

Why am I not surprised?

Standing, I said, "Alright. Did he say when the driver would be arriving?"

"The driver is here."

"What?" I frowned. "Wait, when did he call?"

"About 30 minutes ago."

"And you're just telling me now?"

"I was busy!"

"Too busy to just text me what dad said?" I rolled my eyes. "You know what, forget it. Help me carry my stuff."

"Not with that attitude, I won't!"

Before he even finished speaking, I had picked up my duffle bag and tossed it at him. "You can start with that first."

He glared at me but walked out of the room with it. "You're lucky that I'm taking your room when you're leaving, otherwise I would have thrown this shit back at you."

"If my stuff even so much as touches the floor I'm kicking your ass!"

He wobbled suddenly, nearly dropping my bag on the floor. I had been about to leap to save it when I realized that he'd done that purposefully.

He smirked. "Oops."

I rolled my eyes, although a smile broke out over my face. "Just get it downstairs."

As an afterthought, I added, "Oh, and don't you dare go in my room after I'm gone!"

He drawled, "Sure, that's not definitely not going to happen!"

Looking around my room, I cringed at the thought of my tidy arrangement being destroyed by Tim. No way I'm leaving this open!

Pulling out my phone, I texted my best friend, Nabila. 'Hey, I'm on my way to pick you.'

As expected, she replied barely a minute later. 'Waiting for you.'

Leaving our chat, I scrolled until I found my dad's. Entering inside, I glared at our messages, the evidence of an unkept promise.

How hard is it for you to keep your word? You didn't even bother to message me about your cancellation!

A few moments later, the sound of Tim's footsteps broke my focus. I put away my phone, turning my attention back to my luggage.

. . .

"Wow, so you really did it!"

That was the first thing Nabila said to me after she settled down into the car.

Smiling, I furrowed my brow. "Why do you sound so surprised? I sent you a pic."

"Yeah, but I don't think I processed it! Can I touch it?"

I nodded. She ran her hands through my dark curly hair, which had been cut short to shoulder length.

Still smiling, I said, "Matter of fact, if anybody should be amazed it should be me. I mean, you got purple braids! Someone's looking to make a loud statement on their first day of college. "

She withdrew her hands to her box braids, playing with one of them. "Well I really like the color, so I thought I would try it. You don't think it looks too bad, do you?"