💮10💮

She grinned. "Great! I'm assuming you told his bitch ass off?"

"Umm..." My face warmed as I looked away.

After a moment, Precious asked, "You did tell him off, didn't you?"

"Well...hey, class is about to start."

"Don't give me that bullshit! Aimee, don't tell me-"

The professor cut her off. "Alright, good morning everyone. I hope you all read for the quiz?"

My breath caught. Wait, what? Fuck!

Beside me, Precious breathed, "Oh my god, I forgot about it! Aimee, you-"

I hissed, "Don't look at me, I didn't read either!"

. . .

Fortunately, the quiz was based on a lot of stuff I'd already learned in AP psychology, so I wasn't as screwed as I'd thought. Plus, it distracted Precious from her questioning, so I was able to leave class peacefully.

Unfortunately, the distraction didn't stay on her mind as long as I'd have liked - not too long after I'd gotten into my room, there was a frantic knock on my door.

Frowning, I said, "Who is it?"

"Me."

I nearly groaned. "Precious, I'm busy."

"Busy avoiding me?"

Yes. "I'm tired 'cause of the test."

"I won't stay longer than five minutes, then you can go to bed."

"Or I can go to bed now."

"Then you'll face me later."

I sighed exasperatedly, then walked over and opened the door. "Fine, what is it?"

"Aimee, don't tell me you didn't end whatever the both of you had."

"And what if I didn't?"

"Girl, have you forgotten how pissed you were on Saturday?"

"Okay, I calmed down. What's your point?"

She groaned. "Oh my god, please don't tell me that you're going to let him get away with his shitty behavior. Have some self-respect!"

What the fuck?

I gave her a tight-lipped smile. "Look, don't take this the wrong way, but you don't know shit about me. I'll appreciate it if you mind your business on this, thanks."

Her jaw dropped. "I-"

I slammed my door, locking it. Walking over to my bed, I dropped onto it.

As I was pulling my covers over myself, Precious yelled, "Fine, be a bitch about it! Just don't come crying when he shows you his true colors again and you realize how dumb you're being."

"Right, like I'd ever come crying to you. Fuck off!"

. . .

I forced my eyes open as my ringtone cut through my dreams. Rubbing at my eyes, I looked at the caller ID on the screen:

Dad.

I cleared my throat, then answered the call. "Hey Dad, uh... good afternoon. How are you?"

I was met with an eerie silence.

After a bit, I said, "Hello?"

"Haven't you heard the news?"

I sat up in bed. "Wh-what news?"

There was a moment of silence, then he said, "Your brother is dead."