47

I'm trying but
I keep falling down
I cry out but
nothing comes now...

__

TJ leaned against the strong mahogany door keeping him from reaching out to Chimdi, his ear was pressed against it's cold surface as, he waited for any sound or movement.

He'd been standing for what felt like eons, outside her room, pleading with her to let him in. Yet, she hadn't uttered a word to him, never made even the lowest of sounds. All he got as response was the sound of twitting birds and clashing waves from the nearby beach, now that the house was silent.

Jiki wasn't back yet and Elo had been busy taking calls which he suspected were from his parents, concerning his twin.

He couldn't deny that the nerve-racking statement Abike had made hours ago had the power to destroy whatever happiness they had flowing for the holiday. The house was a far cry from the usual happy and lively space it used to be.

The few days they'd spent at the condo had never been that silent. Even when Lara and Nene headed home, the house still buzzed with life.

He knocked at the door again, not in any way tired of trying. "Hey sunshine. I know you're hurting and you don't want to talk about it. Trust me, we all are hurting with the mere thought of what you might be going through. Locking us out and bottling up all your  feelings won't help ease the pain. Will you say something please?" Desperation weighed in his voice.

But still, there was no response, not even a sound.

Defiantly, he sat down at her doorstep, leaning against it, so that his ear was still pressed to the door.

"You know what," he said getting comfortable. "I'm not leaving this place till I've heard you say you're alright."

He waited a beat -- then more, but still she didn't utter a words.

Then, he heard her sniff. "Go away Kodiri! I'm alright."

His lips broke into a relieved smile.

"Nice try. You don't sound okay."

"I'm okay, I swear."

"If you are, why don't you open up so I can see for myself that you're okay."

"I look like the walking dead." She tried to make a joke, but he wasn't buying it one bit.

"A pretty walking dead, that is-- C'mon, open up let's see?"

She scoffed loudly, followed by shuffling before responding. "Nice try Kodiri."

"Is it working?"

"You have to try harder."

"Fine," he replied, making a show of cracking his knuckles. "I'm bringing my A game in."

He didn't hear a sound after that for what felt like minutes. Soon he heard footsteps draw close to the door and driven by anticipation, he leaned close, trying to get a clue of what she was up to.

He heard the footsteps come to a halt and immediately, felt the disappointment sip in.

Maybe she's gone to the terrace.