52

We are a beautiful
thing together,
even when the weather
is low, we find
the rainbow.

__

"What are you wearing?"

"Not telling. Wait till you can see for yourself." Chimdi replied, fixing an airpod snuggly in her ears, before laying the edges of her hair.

"Babe..." TJ drawled from the other line, a trap song loudly playing in the background, causing Chimdi to sigh in annoyance.  "Just tell me the color."

"No." She smiled at the large framed mirror showing her reflection.

Her eyes were brighter, her skin was glowing -- the kind of glow Jiki had said, glow cream couldn't give her.

"Okay, just give me hints." He persisted. "Denims or silk--- sweats or those fluffy things you chicks wear during summer?"

His words had her cracking up. "Fluffy things you say?"

She heard his laughter through the tiny speakers snuggled between her ears. They were like, her favorite sound at the moment.

"Yeah. The fluffy sleeves and tube-like blouses. Do tell, am I right? Or am I right?"

She grinned, applying a dash of peach lipgloss to her lips. "Wrong, definitely wrong."

Softly spreading the glossy fluid on her lips, she gave a light pout, then grinned when she heard him groan.

A lot had changed since their little trip to the mall, few days ago. It felt like, a brick wall had been lifted off them, like a little barrier had been removed. She'd agree that opening up to him about Farouq has been one of the best decisions she'd made so far. Although a lot was yet to be divulged in their relationship and she knew it'd take heavenly intervention to come clear. One thing was crystal clear to her; they were making progress.

But what wasn't progressing was her failed attempt at stopping his current persuasion.

"C'mon sunshine, just a little hint. What will it take from you?"

Duh, "The element of surprise of course." She answered, going ahead to decorate few auburn faux locs with beads.

"You're planning a surprise for me?" His voice indicated that he was smirking. She could envision the usual annoying, smug look, sitting on his face.

She rolled her eyes. "Because you're who, baby Jesus?"

"Nope. Because I'm your beau sweetheart. I read somewhere that we deserve to get pleasant surprises every once in a while."

"Sorry to crash your castle of hopes beau, this girl ain't planning shit for you."

"You're the worst."

She heard the trap song in the background, change to a rap song.

His playlist really needs a thorough cleanup, she thought, batting her lashes at her smiling reflection. "Nah, you just don't know awesomeness when you see one personified."

"I know one quite alright," he disagreed. "She's just being hard on me at the moment."

Corny piece of shit.

An ivory bead fell off her hand before she knew it. She groaned, getting on her knees to search for it.

"What's the problem?" His voice reminded her that he was still on call. She'd surmised, he'd heard her groan.

"My bead is gone TJ," she pouted, reaching for another. "Now get off my phone, you're distracting me."

He cooed, causing her to roll her eyes. "I'm unaware of how much power I have over you, to have been that impeded in your-"