22

"If you live to be 100,
I hope I live to be 100
minus 1 day, so I never have to
live without you."

__

Chimdi found herself stuck between the plush arm of a leather sofa and TJ, which was totally courtesy of her conniving friends. Her back static from lack of necessary locomotives.

She tried not to acknowledge the hand resting at her back but instead, continued to nibble on a juicy drumstick while listening to Elo go into full drama queen mode.

They'd been at the totally lively and comfortable eatery for over an hour. The brightly lit room gave out total warm vibes. A play on colours of a setting and afro music blaring from the speakers, coupled with customers chatting animatedly was surely a sight for a happy soul.

The eatery wasn't their usual one, that was normally for promotions and ADs. They chose a different eatery this time, which was a breath of fresh air. This time, she had no one telling her to smile and focus on the camera, observe the right etiquette and pretend that the food being consumed was savory worthy.

She let out a breath of relief and at the same time, chewed carefully out of habit.

"What are you thinking about?" TJ was looking at her pensively.

She shrugged. "Birthdays and good food."

They both stayed quiet, watching Elo unwrap several presents with glee.

The table was occupied with stainless cutleries, white ceramics containing food remnants and brutally consumed chicken bones, empty juice cartons, carbonated drinks and lastly, glittering wrapping papers containing Elo's presents.

"Hey." TJ called again, gaining her attention.

She raised a brow. "Yes?"

He took a long swig from his fruit drink. "When's your birthday?"

"August, the 4th. What? You thinking of getting me a birthday present?" She teased, nudging him playfully.

He flashed her a smile that could defy gravity. "Tell me, what do you want?"

Her eyes widened for just a second. "You'll really get me a present?"

"Definitely. What do you want?"

Chimdi was taken aback by the conviction in which his words were uttered.

He leaned closer. "I'm waiting?" His breath fanned her cheeks, causing goose bumps to pop out.

She cleared her throat and just as she was about to reply, she heard Elo's excited scream.

Chimdi rolled her eyes as Elo tried on a silver watch. A gift sent by Antni few minutes ago.

He dropped it's white box on the table.

"Oh my God! She gave me a fucking white Dail?" He gushed, hands flaring happily, while he admired the time piece on his wrist.

"What's the big deal with this white Dail?" Jiki asked, eyes on cellphone.

"Because this one is a limited edition day date rolex duh!" Replied Elo, still drooling over the time piece.

Jiki checked out the glistening silver chain watch. "It looks expensive."

Elo rolled his eyes, snatching the present from the boy's hand. "Of course it's expensive, it's from Antni!"

Chimdi scoffed. "Next present please."

She knew Antni's tactics. She was using her friends to get on her good side, too bad her actions were like absorbing water with a sponge.