Luna's Sorting

Chapter 17: Luna's Sorting

Lucas was freaking out. Silently. He didn't want to draw any unnecessary attention to himself. Just because he was freaking out didn't mean that he had to subject everyone to his panic. Besides, the moment he made it public, his cover would be blown. After all, why would a Slytherin care about a Gryffindor?

  Lucas stared at the entrance to the Great Hall, hoping that Harry and Ron would come in. Maybe their coach was behind. Maybe they were late getting off the train and had to walk the distance. He desperately tried to keep his breathing level.

  "Draco." Daphne waved a hand in front of Lucas. "Draco? Earth to Draco?"

  Lucas snapped out of his thoughts, finally calming down. "What?"

  "You were zoning out." Daphne gestured at the entrance to the Great Hall. "The first years are going to be sorted any second now. All we have to do is wait to see what house Luna gets sorted in."

  "Which house do you think she'll be in?" Pansy leaned towards them.

  "Slytherin," Theo put in.

  Lucas shook his head. "She's a Ravenclaw, whether she likes it or not."

  Daphne shook her head. "No way. She's not that bookish. I'm not saying she's not smart, but she doesn't seem like the type to spend her entire studying. She's a Hufflepuff for sure. I mean, she's kind and patient. You know, on the Hogwarts Express, she was explaining about Ancient Runes!"

  "Hence why she'll be in Ravenclaw," Lucas retorted.

  "I'll have to side with Draco on this one." Pansy kept her eyes trained on the entrance. "She's pretty eager to learn." She paused, lost in thought, then added, "Why don't we bet?"

  "Ten Galleons to whoever wins?" Theo glanced at each of them for confirmation.

  Lucas shrugged. "Sure." He stopped for a moment, then snickered. "You know, if Pansy and I win, you'll lose double."

  "Which is why I hope either Theo or I win." Daphne had her eyes glued to the entrance, where McGonagall had just entered, followed by the first years, who were in a line. "Preferably me."

  Lucas snorted. "'Cause then you won't have to pay at all."

  "Hush." Daphne put a finger to her lips. "Luna's being sorted."

  Lucas turned his head to the front, and sure enough, Luna was sitting on the three-legged stool, with the Sorting Hat placed lopsided on her head so that it completely covered one eye and only covered half of her other eye. Her leg was bouncing at an erratic pace and she seemed to be fidgeting. A lot. 

  After what seemed like a whole minute, the hat seemed to have decided and yelled, "RAVENCLAW!"

  "YES!" Pansy clapped loudly- the loudest out of the four of them. "Theo, Daphne, you both owe me ten Galleons!"

  Theo groaned loudly. He turned to Lucas, with a pleading expression. "Murder me. Please."

  Lucas shook his head. "Nope." He gestured to the Ravenclaw table, where Luna was seated. "Ask the Ravenclaw."

  Pansy laughed. "I'm pretty sure that's his way of rubbing his victory in his face."

  "At least I don't yell at the whole school that I've just won a bet," Lucas retorted without any heat.

  "Where do you think Snape is?" Theo asked before Pansy could reply to Lucas's retort.

  Lucas glanced up at the Staff Table. Snape's seat was empty, and as he scanned the Great Hall, the greasy-haired Potions Master was nowhere to be found. His chair was pushed back, which suggested that Snape was there at some point, and then left.