Luke's Betrayal (And Lucas Nearly Dies, But That's All In A Day's Work, Right?)

Chapter 33: Luke's Betrayal (And Lucas Nearly Dies, But That's All In A Day's Work, Right?)

Soon after Lucas and Luna had finished their conversation, rain had begun to pour heavily down on the camp. The next day, an hour before lunch, Luke pulled him over and they walked towards the woods. Luke had said he wanted to talk somewhere private, and Lucas had led him to the woods, to the place where Hecate had given him the quest.

Honestly, the only reason he still remembered where it was was because one, there was a creek, and two, Percy had almost died there. Nothing like witnessing a fellow camper nearly get killed to have the memory of the place in his mind forever. Fun.

"Don't you ever get tired of how the gods treat us?" Luke asked.

Lucas glanced at him, startled. "Including Hermes?" he asked. "That's our dad you're talking about it."

"Our dad," Luke scoffed. "Right. Where was he? When we were alone with her? He didn't help."

"But he's our dad," Lucas protested.

"That's supposed to make me love him?" he asked incredulously. "The gods? Their precious 'Western civilization' is a disease, Lucas. It's killing the world. The only way to stop it is to burn it to the ground, start over with something more honest."

"You're crazy," Lucas said, taking a step back.

Luke's eyes flared. "Crazy," he repeated. "Don't tell me you like being their pawn."

"I am not their pawn!"

"Yeah? They threw me one quest, my one time in the real world, and then when it was over, they were like, 'Okay, ride's over. Have a nice life.'"

"Do you not remember what happened?" Lucas screamed. "That ugly scar on your face is from that bloody quest! Brynn died! I was there! I remember!" He paused, trying to regain his breath. "Don't pretend you were the only one to have suffered."

"Yet you took another one," Luke retorted. "How's your leg?"

"Don't bring my leg into this!" Lucas spat. His hand drifted to his right leg, though he didn't touch the scar. He'd have to bend down for that.

"I'll say whatever I like!" Luke snarled. "You can either join, or you can die with the gods!"

"Fine by me!" Lucas snapped.

The next bit was a bit of a blur. Lucas wasn't sure what had happened. He didn't believe that it had happened. Luke had made a movement towards him, and Lucas panicked. He pulled out his gun and shot at Luke's lower leg.

Luke howled in pain, and Lucas took off. Luke was much faster than him, but he was in pain, and he wouldn't be running after him any time soon.

He came to a stop, realizing that he was in Cabin Eleven. No one was here. Good. He didn't want anybody to see him here. Zeus knows how many people Luke had already recruited.

"Glacius," Lucas muttered, after he had retrieved it. He set the gun on his bed.

Okay. He needed to leave. Luke had spoken to Percy before he, Grover, and Annabeth had left. Luke had probably done something, and if they died, well. Lucas didn't want that.

"C'mon," he said to himself. "Get a grip." He grabbed his bag and tossed in what he needed: a toothbrush, spare change of clothes, some mortal money, and some nectar and ambrosia. After a moment's hesitation, he threw on a blue windbreaker. Yes, it was summer, but it would help if it rained. He slid his gun in the holster inside his jacket and placed his knife in his pocket, frowning when his hand brushed against a small, wooden object.