The Troll

Chapter 7: The Troll

  "What?" Lucas asked, annoyed. Blaise had been tapping him on the shoulder ever since they had entered the Great Hall, and it was irritating.

  "I don't believe it!" Blaise exclaimed. "Look!"

  Lucas glanced at where Blaise was pointing at, which turned out to be the Gryffindor table. Harry and Ron were fine, and they seemed to be talking about the three-headed dog quite happily, which sank Lucas's spirits. They seemed to be keen to get into more trouble if anything.

  "You'll have more chances to get at them," Lucas told Blaise bitterly. And he'd have a better chance to convince them not to go looking for the dog. But if they did, he'd do his best to help them, even if not directly.

  Blaise sighed wistfully. "True," he said.

  Lucas ignored him and continued eating. Ever since Blaise had pulled off that stunt in their flying lesson, Lucas had been acting cold to him. He found it was much easier than yelling at him, though that didn't work out. After that lesson, Blaise asked him what was wrong, and it had led to their first-ever row. No, it was Lucas's first row with anyone. He had never been mad enough at anyone to have a shouting match.

  All Lucas really wanted now was a confirmation that Harry was not going to be expelled. Luckily for him, the answer came two weeks later. 

  It had started with the owls flooding into the Great Hall as usual, along with Lucas's daily package of sweets, which he didn't bother to open. Immediately what caught his eye was a thin, long package, which was carried by six large screech owls. They had soared to the Gryffindor table, plopping the package in front of Harry.

  "Let's go cut them off at the stairs," Blaise said gleefully.

  Lucas gripped his fork tightly so that it was slightly bent. "Fine," he gritted out.

  Blaise jumped up and ran out of the hall, pulling Lucas along, who was just about to knock his teeth in. Why did he have to become friends with the biggest bully in Hogwarts?

  After a few minutes, Harry and Ron had exited the Great Hall and was heading towards the stairs to go upstairs, carrying the package. Blaise grabbed the package and felt it.

  "That's a broomstick," Blaise said gloomily as he threw it back to Harry. He had a mixture of jealousy and resentment on his face, which lightened up Lucas's day considerably. "You'll be for it this time, Potter, first years aren't allowed them."

  "That's not any old broomstick," Ron interjected, not being able to resist it, "it's a Nimbus 2000. What did you say you've got at home, Malfoy, a Comet 260?" Lucas watched with amusement as Blaise's face got angrier and angrier. "Comets look flashy, but they're not in the same league as the Nimbus."

  "What would you know about it, Weasley, you couldn't afford half the handle," Blaise retorted back. "I suppose you and your brothers have to save up twig by twig."

  Before Ron respond with a retort or violence, Professor Flitwick appeared at Lucas's shoulder.

  "Not arguing, I hope, boys?" Professor Flitwick squeaked.

  "Potter's been sent a broomstick, Professor," Blaise replied quickly, evidently hoping to get Harry in trouble.

  "Yes, yes, that's right," Professor Flitwick exclaimed, beaming happily at Harry. "Professor McGonagall told me all about the special circumstances, Potter. And what model is it?"