Diagon Ally

Chapter 2: Diagon Ally

Lucas hacked at the metal dummy, dodging every time it swung its sword. For some reason, the Hephaestus Cabin decided it was a magnificent idea to create an automaton dummy that would attack back. Such fun. (Note the sarcasm.)

  He rolled to the side as the double-edged sword swung down behind him and stabbed the dummy on the head, deactivating it.

  "I get that the purpose was to get used to a moving target," he muttered, "but why does it have to be an automaton?"

  Sheathing his knife, he turned and walked out of the arena, when he saw someone running towards him.

  "Lucas!"

  It was Annabeth. Annabeth Chase, daughter of Athena, Goddess of Wisdom. She was a year younger than him and he loved her as a little sister.

  "Hey," he greeted her, smiling. "What's up?"

  "Chiron wants to see you in the Big House," she explained. "I think Lady Hecate was there too. Something about a quest?"

  Lucas smiled. "Alright. I'll be heading over there now." He paused. "Er, try not to die before I come back."

  Annabeth snorted. "Of course. I'm not an idiot. That's Cabin 5. Try not to die either. What would I do without my surrogate brother?"

  He laughed, raising his hand in a mock salute, and ran towards the Big House, passing by the Strawberry Fields as he passed.

  When he got there, Chiron and Hecate were on the porch, discussing something. For whatever reason, the legs on Chiron's wheelchair were wearing fishnet stockings and bright red high heels.

  He jogged up to them. "Lady Hecate," he addressed her. "Chiron."

  Chiron smiled. "Lucas. We're all set then, Lady Hecate?"

  "Yes," she replied with a smile. She was wearing a dark, sleeveless gown that seemed to ripple as if the cloth had ink spilling off.

  "Um, Chiron?" Lucas asked. "Why are the fake feet, er, like that?"

  Chiron sighed. "Probably your cabin's idea of a practical joke. I assume you weren't in on it?"

  "We need to go," Hecate interjected, saving Lucas from answering. "We'll be getting there via the Mist," she informed him. "I'm afraid it's in London. using the Mist will be the quickest way." Not unlike a few days ago, she spread her hands and he saw the world fade to white.

~~~~~~~~~~

Lucas watched as Hecate pushed the doors of the Leaky Cauldron open, and he followed her inside. Sometime during the teleportation, she had changed into jeans and a white t-shirt that was adorned with ornate silver designs- probably an alternate version of the robes she wore the other day.

  "Hello," she greeted the barman. "Tom, was it?"

  "Yes," he replied. "Would you like a drink?" he asked reaching for a glass.

  "No, thank you," she said politely. "Just passing through."

  The barman nodded, seeming to understand her. "Off to buy school supplies?" he questioned.

  She smiled. "Precisely."

  Hecate led Lucas through the bar and into a small, walled-off courtyard with a few dustbins and weeds.

  "Where are we going?" he asked.

  "Diagon Ally," she replied. "You seem to have forgotten that this is a world of magic."