Do Demigods Get Normal Dreams? No? Damn

Chapter 32: Do Demigods Get Normal Dreams? No? Damn

Percy was moved out the next morning. He looked quite upset, and if Lucas was being honest, he felt bad for him. Almost every camper went out of their way to avoid him, and Lucas knew how that felt. After all, he had spent two years at Hogwarts, being avoided by almost everyone. Well, except for his friends. And most of the Hufflepuffs.

At least nobody taunted or insulted Percy. Except for Cabin Five. But that was what Cabin Five always did. Insults seemed to be the only thing in their vocabulary. That, and demands for everyone to do better.

So, it wasn't surprising that Lucas found himself walking up to Percy one day, to talk.

"Hey," Lucas said.

"Hi."

"Um." Now that he was here, Lucas found that he didn't quite know what to say. "Feeling alright? Wait, no, no, don't answer that. Ignore that. Of course you're not alright. You've only been ignored by practically everyone in this gods forsaken camp."

Percy stifled a laugh. "At least it isn't everyone," he replied. "You don't. Or Luke. Or Grover. That's all I really need."

"True," Lucas said, humming in agreement. "Friends are enough. Though I have to warn you, campers change their minds frequently. Maybe you'll endear yourself to them by taking a quest or something like that."

Percy snorted.

"Hey, it could happen!" Lucas exclaimed, holding up his hands. "You never know. Don't assume things. It's not good for you. And never assume you're safe."

"Sounds a bit tiring," Percy said.

Lucas couldn't help but roll his eyes. "The moment you think you're safe, you'll jinx it," he told him. It was harsh, but it was the truth. "You're better off thinking you're in danger and being prepared when you're right. Of course, relaxing is instinctive, so it usually doesn't work, but it's good practice to try to not jinx it."

"Thanks," Percy replies, smiling.

Lucas grins back, glad that he managed to cheer Percy up. Now, if prejudice could go die in a hole, that would be great. Unfortunately, that wouldn't be happening any time soon. Pity.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"You know..."

"No."

"No? You don't even know what I'm trying to say!"

"You want to make me force our cabin mates to talk to Percy, and that's not happening."

"Why not?"

Luke shut his book, glaring at Lucas. Lucas glared back, equally hard.

"Why not?" Lucas repeated. Maybe if they did, they'd see that it didn't matter who Percy's father was. If Percy was a son of Zeus, they'd be all over him by now. Luke had to teach Percy sword-fighting one on one since nobody would train with him. It was annoying.

"Because one, they won't listen to me, and two, do you think Percy would like that?" Luke asked. "You've told me about how people wouldn't talk to you at that school of yours. Would you like it if a teacher forced them to talk to you?"

Lucas thought about it for a moment. "No," he said slowly. He sighed. "Fine. You win."

"For once," Luke said, grinning.

"At least his father isn't Hades," Lucas offered. "I mean, Hades isn't that bad, but he gets a bad rep. Even more than Poseidon."

"True." Luke pauses. "Y'know, you really shouldn't be saying their names out loud."