CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

AMELIA POV

I Immediately headed back to the keep, having been gone long enough to begin raising Eugene's suspicions. My concerns were proven correct as the second I entered, I was summoned to Eugene's office.

Eugene, already reclined in his chair, his hands folded on his lap, watching my every move as I stand in my designated spot in front of the desk like the good little pet I am.

He always plays this game. Preferring to sit whilst I stand. As though wanting to trick me into believing I hold some form of power.

Wanting me to tug at the leash if only for his amusement. But I never do. I knew my place and in Eugene's eyes, that was beneath his shoe.

Instead I always opt to stare into those grey eyes of his, knowing my own held a void of darkness and death behind them. I couldn't tell if my blatant disregard for his games unnerved or delighted him. Perhaps both.

Deciding to stand, he straightens the lapels of his suit jacket and stalks toward me. A lion stalking his prey, assessing it as his eyes roamed my stiff body.

Allowing his perusal and remaining still, looking forward like the perfect soldier, I feel his fingers caress my cheek.

He circles me, footsteps barely forming a whisper with his silent steps, the same footwork he had taught me all those years ago.

[5 years old]

The scary man with grey eyes is circling me. I can't stop shaking, the force of my cries making the floorboards tremble.

My tears had started to burn, hurting so bad I just wanted to close my eyes and curl up into a ball to sleep.

But the man wouldn't let me. He made me stand in this cold room and he keeps looking at me. I so badly want to scream for someone, anyone to help but his unnerving gaze makes me too terrified to let out more than sobs.

The old man who took me from that stage makes it back to the front of my body, done with his inspection. He mumbles, "Yes, you will do just fine."

[End of flashback]

"You came into my care exactly 15 years ago on this day. Did you know that?" those grey eyes daring me to play with him.

Of course I knew, I had spent the morning trying desperately to forget the fact, burying myself in a gruelling run.

Eugene grabs a piece of my hair, twirling it between his calloused fingers, then tugging it toward him.

"Such a small firecracker you were. I could practically see the clay ready to be molded in my image."

I did not allow myself to feel anything but that ever-present nothingness. My heart and soul remaining empty as I looked at the far wall blankly. "Are you fond of the results?"

He smiles with menace, "immensely", releasing my hair. "Now do you have something for me or just more disappointment?"

A small flicker of anger ignited, fuelling her next words, "well it would have been helpful for you to reveal this was all about The Auction rather than sending me on a goose chase."

I can practically smell the smugness wafting off him in waves. He wasn't the least bit surprised I had figured it out, expected it even. He wanted to watch me dig around for answers these past weeks for his own sick amusement.

"I assumed the subject matter was irrelevant, you should have been able to find information regardless."

One fortifying breath, filling my lungs with that emptiness, "yes well, I do have something to report."

"Oh? Do share"

"Parker keeps the information about the targets for The Auction in files at a secure location"

"And you've found this location?"

"Yes"

"Good, hit it and bring me a copy of the files."

A nod, "of course."

I turn to leave, desperately wanting to leave the suffocating room, bit he clears his throat, indicating I am not yet dismissed.

He moves back toward that insufferable chair of his before smirking, a terrifying smile, like he knows something I don't.

"That's a nice jumper. New?"

My heart freezes to ice, the shards spreading their frost, digging painfully into my chest as panic takes over momentarily. But on the outside, I do not allow so much as a flinch. Not a single twitch of the eye, learning long ago Eugene would detect any reaction I allowed.

Slowly, I smile, with just as much venom as he does, "didn't realise you were concerned with my sex life," hoping to derail his suspicions.

There's no way he knows about Jayce, absolutely no way.

Let him think what he wants about the men I find in my bed, anything but the truth. Anything but Eugene discovering the clumsy boy who had caught my attention.

Eugene's smile drops. He always was the jealous type.

"Everything about you is my concern."

---

DAMN I hate Eugene even as I write him.

If you enjoyed this chapter or story so far, please vote! It means a lot

Happy reading everybody! :)