CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

JAYCE POV

We reach the hallway and I stop Amelia with a touch to her shoulder. I clear my throat, "you ok? I know this dinner is a bit of a buzzkill."

She looks at me for a moment, tilting her head slightly, reminding me of a curious puppy, "It's fine Jayce. It's really not that bad."

"Huh seriously? Cause I'm dying out there. That Aaron kid couldn't death glare me more if he tried."

"Don't worry about him, he's just an egotistical maniac." A fleeting glance, "or so I've gathered."

Before I can reply Amelia moves toward me, so close I hold my breath in fear of the moment collapsing. She reaches up and begins to fix my tie, fiddling with the knot and straightening it against my suit.

I become transfixed in her forest green eyes and the curve of her pink lips as they purse in concentration. God she is just so beautiful it should be a crime.

I pray that as she straightens my jacket, she cannot feel my heart race as my pulse skyrockets in nervousness. Her nearness is driving me crazy my hands form fists as I resist the urge to touch her cheek or grab her waist and pull her closer.

But all too soon the moment ends as Amelia steps back and surveys my now, no doubt cherry-tinted cheeks. She gifts me with a soft smile and I am

FUCKING

GOBSMACKED

Just that simple gesture of the smallest smile lights up her already gorgeous face into something of a masterpiece. Damn, it's as if the sun shone down on her in that moment and lit where she stands with a ball of sunshine and starlight. As though the God's too are mesmerised by the beauty in front of them.

Her smile makes me desperately want to study the curve of her lips and map every crevice. I want to watch the forest green of her eyes blaze with passion and joy. I want to learn every freckle on her cheeks and kiss her till my lips hurt and that smile never fades.

But I don't do any of that because an aged old lady decides to cut behind us with the rattle of her walking stick and I am reminded that we are standing outside the bathrooms and have been gone for far too long already.

I clear my throat and start to scratch the back of my neck nervously as Amelia composes herself with a simple sweep of her dress and whispers that she's actually going to the bathroom now.

"Um yeah awesome. Uh, you go do that and I'll go pee too," pointing behind myself to the men's restroom door. Pee? Really? She didn't need to know.

My clumsy ass apparently has no intention of exiting with dignity though as I walk backwards, knocking into one of the unnecessarily elaborate plants.

Bending over, I try to save the rocking pot, steadying it before it breaks then righting myself. 

With one last sheepish smile I practically run through the men's door and straight into a cubicle.

I swear I see her bite her lip to muffle a laugh before the door shuts.

I quickly finish my business and exit, waiting outside the ladies' room for her and earning a strange glance from that same old lady as I do so.

But then Amelia comes out and I can't help myself from immediately gravitating toward her as we walk side-by-side back to the table. Without even touching her, I can feel the electricity.

As we arrive at the table, I pull the chair out for her as she takes a seat before taking my own. Eugene and Aaron watching the entire exchange.

Aaron is now gripping his fork so tightly it's like he wants to fasten the tips into knife points and shove it into my jugular. I somehow don't doubt that he could if given the time.