CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

AMELIA POV

STUPID. STUPID. STUPID.

Why did I have to show Eugene the sweatshirt!

I go to rip it off but hesitate, unable to force myself to remove it.

It's like a safe, warm haven in this dungeon of hell. Like a ladder dangles down into a hole of darkness, helping her escape.

I cuddle it for a moment, burying my nose in the soft material before-

What am I doing?

Disgusted with myself I quickly take it off, but gently, and pinch it between two fingers like it could bite me at any moment.

Unable to throw it on the ground, I put it on a coat hanger and hide it FAR back into her closet. I do the same with the sweatpants and then I change into a cropped, midriff rolling stones t-shirt, and blue jean shorts.

Feeling better and in control, but also somehow worse, I take a deep breath and walk toward my door, deciding to ask one of the kitchen staff to make me food.

Just as I touch the doorknob, I feel his presence. Like a shadow blanketing around my shoulders, slithering along my bones, I know Aaron waits on the other side.

I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath as my shoulders square and chin lifts. The rest of my body falling in line as I become death, become a graceful goddess leashed with violence and strength.

Just as my cruel smile spreads, I swing the door open.

Aaron leans against the frame, running a finger across his bottom lip as he runs an appreciative gaze along my exposed skin. "Damn Amelia, seeing you never does get old."

My cruel smile turns sadistic as I step forward and place a hand to his chest, "trust me, the feelings not mutual," then I shove him back and walk ahead. He barely even stumbles.

"Now is that any way to treat your partner in crime?"

I look at him with a cocked brow, completely unimpressed, "honey the only crime I'll be committing with you will be your murder," I allow a glimmer of death to enter my eyes, "and that's a promise."

Not the least bit perturbed, he retorts, "if not crime then I can think of many other acts we can partner in."

Done with his games I cut straight to the point, "what do you want?"

"Aww not up for some fun, Carrot top?"

Refusing to acknowledge the derogatory comment about my hair, I continue, "when it involves you, I'd rather finish quickly."

His eyes light up like a Christmas tree at my comment. He leans forward, dangerously close to my ear, the tension in the air pulling taut as they both know in that moment that this could easily come to blows, "oh you'd finish with me alright."

Instead of falling for his obvious attempt to ruffle my feathers, I sidle up close to him, sliding a leg between his feet as I curl up against his chest. His body melts above mine in disbelief at my seduction.

I take a moment to savour the look in his eyes of lustful hope before I crush it between my fingers.

I pull my foot, hooking it around his ankles, and pulling his feet from beneath him. The move should have landed him straight on his ass but with him just as trained as I, he easily lands on his back before flipping back up.

He goes to attack me, but I force my elbow harshly into his chest before quickly jamming my arm out whilst he's surprised and karate chopping against the sensitive tendons of his neck.

He recovers quickly, grabbing at my hands and pulling them toward himself, jostling my footing, before hooking a leg behind mine and crashing us to the floor. We end up with him on top smugly, whilst I lay beneath him. Both of us breathing heavily.

He smirks, "just as we should be."

I roll my eyes before wrapping my legs around his hips and flipping us over, so I lay on top instead, before securing his hands in a death grip, making sure he can't budge.

I lean down, watching fury and lust war behind his pupils, "in your dreams, asshole."

I then begin to get up, kneeing him in the gut before fully doing so and walk away. But not before he yells from behind me, "oh every night, sweetheart. I'll see you soon."

~~~

Breathe in

Breathe out

Breathe in

Breathe out

Controlling my movements, I complete my fourth rep of one-handed push-ups before switching sides. Having spent the last half hour burning Aaron's disgusting touch from my body through sweat, I finally begin to feel more in control. More grounded. Just as exercise has always done for me.

After completing the routine, I move to the treadmill, immediately increasing the incline and speed until I'm sprinting. Savouring the sweet sensation of burning thighs and a quick heart. 

Feeling it thump in my chest as it works overtime to keep up with my gruelling workout.

It isn't until I've moved from the treadmill to the boxing bag that I allow my mind to wander. To what I must do and what it will all mean.

So many details, so many pieces of the puzzle to fit just right. A single jagged piece out of place and like Jenga my plans will crumble.

Even so, with so many responsibilities and deadlines pushing through, weighing down my shoulders and forcing my feet into the floor, I can't help but think of my one tiny reprieve.

Jayce was an enigma, one I had never been trained to solve. He seemed so unbothered, so carefree. The disappointments of the world surrounding him and yet he smiles.

He draws his perfect world onto paper and spreads warmth through his laugh. He blushes at simple interactions as though he sees the world through a completely different lens to I.

And I so desperately want to glance through it too.

---

Wow, is the ice surrounding Amelia's heart finally chipping away?

What do you guys think?