CHAPTER SEVEN

AMELIA POV

Thump. Thump. Thump.

The bag swings furiously back and forth. Pushed back by the force of my punch only to gravitate back toward my fist and thwack violently against it again.

The strength of my punch driving it back, back, back. Every thump against my fist sending pulses of pain up my forearms. Biting into the skin of my knuckles.

Sweat trickles between my brows, tickling the tip of my nose before it plummets toward the floor.

It's been three weeks since I've been investigating Mr Parker. Three weeks and I've found absolutely nothing of substance. Zilch. ZERO. Other than the not-so thrilling fact that he is involved in trafficking of sorts. But apparently this information had already been known to Eugene.

Information that would have been WILDLY convenient if he had shared that with me. But apparently Eugene did not find it necessary. He assumed sending me out on a goose chase would somehow elicit the results he wanted.

He's been up my ass the last few days, berating my performance. Irritated with the lack of updates and information he's received since delivering the mission outline.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

I continued to abuse the bag in front of me, feeling satisfied every time that sting of pain shoots through my fists. Sweat drenches my hairline and continues to slip down my cheeks.

The pain is all I feel. All I want to feel. The ache of my muscles somehow distracting me from my frustration.

By this point I would of normally found SOMETHING. Actually, by this point I would have finished the mission altogether.

Ugh, what exactly am I even looking for. Eugene provided no more information than simply: Mr Parker is interfering with his business.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

The swinging of the bag synching with the beat of my heart.

I suddenly hear the door swing open, violently striking against the concrete of the wall of the gym.

Aaron enters wearing only a pair of basketball shorts. His chest on display and glistening with sweat from his run.

I leave the poor, battered boxing bag behind and take to the floor for a series of sit-ups. "Yes Aaron?"

He moves to my feet, resting in a crouch with his arms lazily draped across his knees as he watches me.

"Well don't you just look delicious"

I was wearing a black and grey sports bra and a pair of small, grey shorts that hugged my ass, all paired with a set of simple grey sneakers. Of course, the first thing Aaron would note was my exposed skin.

As I come up from the sit-up, face resting near my knees and Aaron's face now too close I deadpan, "did you need something?" then lower myself back to the floor.

"Not too much, although I did hear from a little birdie that someone's finding their mission a tad difficult? Need the big, strong man to take over for you, shortcake?"

As I sat up again I shot him a withering glare and a taunting smile, "aww is your ego still bruised from not being picked Aaron? Need me to kiss it better?"

He glares at me, enraged and suddenly he reaches forward and grips my wrists, bringing me up and close to his face, "only if you're offering, sweet-cheeks."

From where he is gripping my wrists I quickly uses his own weight against him to shift our bodies and flip him under me. I end up on his chest, straddling him and my hands on either side of his head.

Seductively I lean forward, watching lust and eagerness alight within his eyes, and place my lips at his ears. I whisper, making sure to lightly drag my lips across the shell of his ear, "never gonna happen, asshole."

I then swiftly knee him in the nuts, leaving him curled in a ball, groaning in pain on the floor as I gracefully stand and exit the gym.

~~~

In the hall, a security guard of Eugene's steps into my path and simply states that Eugene wishes to see me.

In Eugene's office I settle myself into the elegant black leather chair across from the man who raised me.

My first memory with him had been made at age 5. It consisted of me being dragged violently across the lawn, kicking and screaming. The blades of grass cutting into my skin and scratching layers off my bloodied back.

The skimpy lingerie they had forced me into, cutting into my skin violently, a strap of my bra snapped and useless.

My tiny, innocent head lifted up to observe my captor and through the thick veil of tears I saw Eugene towering over me, violently dragging me with a bruising grip on my wrist toward what was soon to be my prison.

I remember so vividly how his body had blocked the moonlight, leaving me cold and scared in the shadows. Eugene, becoming tired of my screaming, crying form, simply threw me at a strange man in a black suit and with a nod of his head I was dragged away.

Forced inside the manor where I wouldn't exit till years after. Where my naive form was left as a memory, my innocence having drifted away in the wind and swallowed by the shadows.

My poor, tiny and young soul had been crushed beneath the tutelage of Eugene, emerging as something different. Something darker.

And when I finally did exit that manor, the years away from the sun had carved me into a new woman. Fully conditioned and emotionless to the world.

Trained to kill and never care.

Shaking my head to disperse the memory, I refocuses my gaze on Eugene. Gazing across the enormously arrogant mahogany desk between us. In silence, I waited for him to begin.

Eugene sits with a smug smile and calmly folded hands in his lap.

Finally, he speaks, "I don't know what has been going on with you Amelia, but I surely expected much more than this. Three weeks and not a single report other than Parker's irrelevant mistress. What am I meant to do with so little information Amelia?"

I smirk, "I'm sure you'd figure something out."

He leans forward, tightening his grip on his fingers as he rests them atop the mahogany desk.

"I want something by the end of week or else our little chat will be ending much differently. Do not push me girl. Remember who you are and your place."

My face doesn't shift at the threat, "noted."

And with that, Eugene stands and turns his back to me, dismissing me like scum.

I stand and moves to exit. The moment my fingers curl around the cold metal of the door-knob, Eugene speaks again. His voice of malice sending an almost undetectable shiver down my spine.

"One week, Amelia. You have one week to bring me something."