CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

AMELIA POV

I watch through the lens of my sniper as Aaron, donned in the uniform of a security guard, casually paces the room of business men and women. Our target sits ecstatically on the lush sofa as she watches the room of erotic women parade.

Aaron lifts his wrist to his mouth, face stoic and speaks into the comm, "All clear, will be moving to the destination in 5"

I watch as Aaron signals to the scantily dressed brunette we had scouted. Taking her cue, the seductress sways her hips and struts toward our target.

From my vantage point in the hotel room of an adjacent building I can just see the few whispered exchanges between the girls before they stand and make their way to the door, our target trailing slowly behind her new bed-mate, admiring the view.

Her fellow workers pay her no mind, either too high or too horny to note – albeit care – that one of their colleagues has found the bed of an escort for the night. Aaron follows, as though taking on the role of personal guard and escorts the women out.

I lose visual as Aaron leads them through the elevator and into the hotel room directly above the party venue. I take this reprieve to reposition myself. Aiming the sniper to the conveniently open window of the bedroom, and shifting so my feet lay flat and sturdy, my arms unwavering as I bare the weight of the gun in my hands.

As the kill approaches I allow myself 10 seconds to feel what I must, in the privacy of this room.

10

The sheen of sweat on my fingertips as it glosses the trigger of the gun.

9

The thump... thump... thump... of my heart as it pounds against my ribs.

8

The tightening of my chest as it constricts tighter and tighter

7

Breath in

6

Breath out

5

Every cell in my body races, my blood speeding through my veins

4

The sporadic beat of my heart sounds in my ears like a drumbeat gone wild

3

I refuse to wipe my hands. I will not touch my sweaty brow.

2

Chin high. Face blank

1

Ready.

The moment, and I mean the exact moment I bury the guilt and fear, the door to the hotel room opens. I can just make out the silhouette of Aaron's shoulders as he takes post at the door before it swings shut. The target, Meredith Grace, and her newfound lover trip into the room.

They flop onto the bed and the escort begins to seductively peel her clothes from her body, before leaving Meredith's body sprawled on the bed and entering the bathroom, presumably to freshen up.

My finger tightens its grip slightly on the cold metal of the trigger, refocusing my aim straight through that open window.

Just as I had as a child, I feel that pesky flicker of hesitation as it folds around my throat and squeezes. Not allowing it to take hold I blink and look back through the eyepiece. Meredith sits up and that's all I need.

And with one last look at Meredith Grace's lust-filled face, I pull the trigger.

A click is all that sounds for a moment.

The whoosh of a bullet.

The whack of metal to the brain.

Even with the distance between me and her, I can still hear the slaughtering sounds of steel burying itself into flesh as it rattles in my ears.

I watch, as though in slow motion, as Meredith's head smacks into the feather pillow beneath her. The all too familiar trickle of blood painting her skin red. Turning the crisp white of her blazer to scarlet.

Such as small gesture from myself, to have such a treacherous consequence. A simple spasm of my pointer finger and a life is ripped from the earth and sent flying through the astral plane, into the unknown.

Meredith Grace will never take another breath on this Earth. Her lungs will no longer fill with oxygen and the blood will no longer flow in her veins. So much damage to follow a simple flinch of the finger.

I detach from my body and float in the air as a spectator of this gore. I watch the exact moment the escort exits the restroom and beholds the corpse of her client. I smell the salt of her tears and hear the piercing scream of her horror as she sprints from the room, exiting out of a door that I know is now unguarded.

It's almost too easy.

Too easy, the pull of a trigger.

Too easy, the ending of a person's life... dreams... potential.

Too easy, a bullet paints the world red and dims my soul.