CHAPTER THIRTY

JAYCE POV

"But why do I have to go!"

"Because I said so! This will all be yours someday soon and it's time you started to man-up and learn the trade!"

At this I let out a frustrated grunt and spit, "but I don't want it! How many times I gotta tell you that I want no part of your shady business!"

My father's expression seems to morph from irritation to downright fury. With only half a mind listening, as the rest of me concentrates on that kind of concerning vein that might just pop on his forehead, I hear the words, "You're going and that's the end of it! I don't want to hear another word or so help me I will stick your mother on you."

I stomp upstairs in a tantrum and flop face first onto my bed. My phone chimes and I aggressively snatch it from my pocket, viewing the screen with a scowl. However, that scowl drops straight off my face as I see the name splayed across the screen.

Amelia...

Shaking my head from its stupor and the shit-eating grin I now somehow present, I refocus on the actual words of her message.

A: Hey, what are your plans for tonight?

How strange that she actually reached out. Nevertheless, I grow so excited that this girl has actually messaged me, I literally cannot contain my glee.

No seriously.

I kick at my covers and try to rush out of bed but in the process only accomplish whacking my skull against the headboard. OW!

I quickly right myself and, even though it's only a text and she can't actually see me, I fix my hair and shirt before sitting back down to reply.

J: Dad's forcing me to a boring business dinner :/ hbu?

A few minutes pass as my knee bounces up and down in anxious waiting.

Then the three typing bubbles appear, and I swear to god I almost fall off the bed.

A: I got nothing to do. I was going to see if you wanted to hangout. How boring will the dinner be?

J: Oh it's gonna be painfully mind-numbing. Would much rather watch you get soaked haha

Just as I press send I notice the palpable innuendo and my cheeks flush crimson. SHIT.

J: I mean, not like that! I meant soaked with water u know, cause of the car thing and all the water. Not the other way!

A: Haha it's fine, I get it

Stupid, stupid, STUPID! Is it possible to kill me now and bury me at sea?

A: Is this dinner important? I could come and keep you company?

My eyes scan the words for a third time before it truly sinks in and a shit-eating grin takes up real estate on my face.

J: Yeah! That'd be awesome. I can come pick you up? Around 6?

A: No, it's fine. I'll meet you at your house

J: Ok see u there :)

My cheeks start to ache with the effort of my smile. How fitting that she would know the exact moment I was upset over this stupid dinner and manage to make it an event to look forward to.

Although, subconsciously I know this is no coincidence as my eyes gaze out the window. I feel a sly smirk form as I spy a flash of red hair from across the lawn, jumping from the roof of the neighbours abandoned shed. There a moment and gone the next. So quick anyone else would believe it were a trick of the eyes.

Instead I just shake my head and lay back down, closing my eyes and chuckling at the bizarreness of it all.

---

Jayce is so damn cute haha

If you like this book please vote, it means a lot!

Happy reading! :)