Chapter 5

So not much happens in this chapter. Its actually pretty mellow, but the next chapter should be a lot more exciting so excuse this one's lack of excitment. :)
Love and gratitude,
J.E.Wollstonecraft
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aida's P.O.V

   Sunlight poured through the window from my room as i rubbed my eyes and sat up, dazed. Where....am..I?

   For a brief second i didn't recognize my room with it's red curtains or it's warm red comforter. Groggily, i looked down at myself and noticed myself wearing jeans with a raggity old disney shirt i wore when i was cleaning.

   Cleaning....

   That's right. I had been cleaning. No wonder i hadn't recognized my room because it was cleaner. My old stuffed animals had been paked away in my closest along with any other valuables while i had donated all the children's clothes that didn't fit me anymore. My room looked so much more mature now with its spotless vanity, the recently polished headboard shining like new, and the bare minimals out and exposed in my room. There were no posters up on the walls besides a picture of my family, a clock, and a cross that hung over my bed.

   I had forgotten about cleaning since i had been so tired. I had spent the whole day yesterday cleaning up until this place was spotless before i passed out in the clothes i had had on at the time. Groaning as my limbs protested, I pushed myself out of bed and stood up, stretching my sore muscles as i walked over to the mirror. My bronze hair was bunched up on one side from the pillow and my violet eyes was half lidded from exhaustion. Violet eyes...i always wondered why i was born with them. Like the deep color of purple paint, my eyes were unique and strange. Different.

    Because of them i was always different from everyone else: in school, at stores, even at home. I know my parents never intentionally made to make me feel different, and they never had to, because looking into their clear brown eyes reminded me every day. There were times when i forgot that i had purple eyes seeing as how i couldnt see them. But the moment i looked into the mirror i was reminded of my difference. I never thought it made me special or unique, i just thought it made me different and i never really enjoyed that. I always wanted to be a part of the group. Not apart from the group.

   I'd come to terms with my difference a long time ago, but that didn't mean i was completely over it.

   Sighing heavily, I blinked a few times to erase the sleep from my eyes before i walked into the kitchen. I groaned when my eyes met an empty fridge and closed it shut promptly. No food. I should've gone shopping yesterday.

    I was tempted to just fall back in bed, but my stomach was winning the war with my heavy eyelids. Changing into some clean clothes, i then threw on a long overcoat before I went out. Thankfully i had enough money to last me awhile so i wasnt too worried about how much i piled into my cart once i was at the store. I was however worried about the job i was going to need to find. Money didn't last forever and the amount i did have would probably last me a solid year if i divided the amount, limited my spending only to the necessities, and then no unexpected costs came up.

   That last one was unoredictable and i oreffered to be ready, so getting a job was the number one thing on my list....well, number two at the current miment since my stomach was starting to get worse. Dropping off my food back at the house, rather than make something i drove back into town and stopped by a diner to grab some lunch. Breakfast had long since passed me by and lunch was here so I order some gumbo rather a breakfast meal.

    Once i had filled my stomach with spicy gumbo and a slice of cake, i made my way around town. Nothing had changed. As always, New Orleans continued to retain its mysterious and exotic quality as if it would never change. I doubted it ever would.

   Reaquainting myself with the Quarter was amazinamazingg, especially since it had been so long. The shops were mystical as always with its witch hoodoo and the amazing art that littered the sidewalks. Some were painters, others using a sidewalk as a canvas or the side of a building, but what attracted me the most were the ones that came out at night.

   I guess that's why i stuck around so long until midnight. Street artists were always my thing. I liked the vibe i got from them, especially as i watched them create this perfect masterpiece in such a short amount of time. Masterpieces differ in the eyes of the person, but to me each picture painted, sketched, or drawn from the heart was, and always will be, a masterpiece.

   Once the sky had darkened and the the string of lights that stretched across the street overhead in zig-zags came on, i watched as my favorite night owls took their places in the middle of the streets. Nothing could entrance me more than a great artist. Not fake witch spells or videogames or cute dogs. This was my joy.

    I admired one man, young, maybe in his early thirties as he drew a large tree with hand prints for leaves on the very edge of a cliff. A small girl in a white dress swung from a swing over the seemingly never ending cliff.

   "Wow." i said, awed. The painter look back at me and smiled warmly.

   "You appreciate art?" he said, turning back to his work.

   "I draw a little." i said, watching as he painted in the dark brown and light brown streaks of the tree's majestic trunk.

   "Then by all means," he commented, "draw."

   Gesturing to a clean black canvas he said, "I was saving that for another art work, but I like inspring artists more than making the art."

   "Are you sure?" i asked, hesitant.

   He nodded, his green eyes kind as he held out a white pencil to me.

   "Do it."

   The sound of his voice was so affirmative and kind that i couldn't possibly think of saying no. Taking the pencil, i made a quick sketch of a cresent moon above the very street I stood on. It wasn't long before i asked the gray and white to the moon and the yellow to the string of lights that was just above the heads of the dark shaded people with no features save for one person who stood in the very center. This person was colored in vibrant colors and highlighted in white to give that person an ethereal glow. She beconked to me, hands outstretched as she smiled back at me.  I paused a little to admire the woman i had made with the most detail just before i was startled by a voice.

    "Enchanting artwork."

    The voice was deep and accented thickly and when I glanced to see it's owner, I met the gaze of dark, cold blue eyes.