Chapter 9

I spent the better part of the next day walking around New Orleans, but not because I was looking for anything in particular. Mostly I was hoping id run into Klaus again so I could ask him why Cami was upset. I'd decided last night that i still wanted to be honest and stay true to my promise to Cami, but seeing how Klaus seemed to know her maybe he could shed some light on her current mood if I 'bumped into him'. I knew she asked me to stay away from him, for whatever reason is still unknown to me, but i had found my loophole in her promise and I intended to use it.
So I walked. I was uninterested in nearly everything, hoping I might catch a glimpse of him so I could excute my plan of running into him 'accidentally', but it was like today was the day he decided not to go into town. For the most of the morning i ended up walking up and down the downtown area of New Orleans, occasionally heading into a shop I found interesting or curious. By noon I had bought more than i needed of various things such as books, art supplies, cute little refrigerator magnets and random stuff i probably wont even use later on.

   Eventually i wandered into a shop I immediately recognized as one that believed in the mystic arts. The air in there was smokey, heavy with insence and perfumes that nearly killed my sense of smell. I tried not too breathe through my nose too much as I looked around because, despite the heavy smell, what was in here was actually really interesting. Different necklaces hung on racks, some just simple leather that held a amber colored stone the size of a pebble dangling from the end. Others were more decorative with silver or gold chains and pretty ornate stone or crosses. I noticed there were other stuff as well like incense sticks, candles, herbs, and worn out looking books on the dark brown, dusty shelves. Unaware that i was being watched by the lady behind the counter, I continued looking until I caught her staring.

   I blinked, both confused and mildly worried as to why she was staring at me so intently with such a face. She seemed shocked, almost like she had been slapped in the face. For a second I stared back, meeting her wide chocolate brown eyes before her expression suddenly changed. It was so sudden that i almost doubted that she had looked surprised at all. One minute she was shocked and the next she was relaxed, her face visibly eased. I would have doubted that she had been shocked at all if she hadn't called me over.

   "Hello Miss. See anything you like?" she asked. Her voice was even but there was a tone to it that still held mild surprise. It made me sure that i had seen her surprised.

   I walked over, trying not to appear worried. Something about her was...unsettling. She seemed normal enough. With her dark brown skin the color of dove dark chocolate and her kinky, equally dark hair. Nothing seemed to stand out. I saw no malice in her eyes or intent to harm, but there was something about her. I wasn't exactly sure what it was, maybe it was that the atmosphere in the room had changed since she had spoken or maybe I had inhaled too much insence, but she felt dangerous.
I flashed a brief and friendly smile, trying to seem casual. "Yea actually. How much is this?" Holding out a silver necklace to her which held a beautiful silver cross on it, she suddenly smiled. "10 dollars."

   Now i was the one surprised. "Just ten dollars? Isn't it pure silver?"

    I had noticed this necklace because the design of the cross was so unique. It was a beautifully designed cross unlike any I'd seen before with Jesus nailed to it. Not to mention it seemed out of place with all the witchy hoodoo here. So I'd grabbed it, intrigued, but also expected it to be at least 50 dollars.

   She nodded, "Yes it is, but everything in here is on sale. We're going out of business soon so all things must go." Her tone was light as she reached the end, almost joking, so although I felt a little uncomfortable still, I felt bad for her.

   "Sorry to hear that. Um, here. Ill take these too." Walking back, I grabbed a book I recognized as a worn out, hardback copy of Pride and Prejudice, a couple of candles, and a couple of insence sticks. I felt bad that her shop was going out of business, but at the same time i also wanted to get out of there quickly so i didn't bother actually looking too well at what i grabbed.

   Setting them on the counter, she rang them up and just before she bagged my stuff, she said, "Ill be right back. Im going to for find a box for this." Her tone was friendly as she gestured to my newly purchased necklace, disappearing to the back of the shop before I had the chance to stop her. I wanted to tell her that it was alright, that ill just take it as is, but she was gone before I had the chance. I sighed, waiting.

   Ten minutes later I was beginning to become anxious. How long did it take to find a stupid box? Maybe she was planning a way to murder me, something I wouldnt be surprised by. At this point I was debating whether or not to just leave. Was a necklace really worth my life? I was going to go with no on that and was about to start heading for the door when she reappeared.

   "Here you go. Sorry it took so long. I misplaced where i had put the boxes and it took me awhile to find them." She held out a dark blue box at me, a smile on her face.

   Hesitantly I took it, "You shouldn't have gone to so much trouble."
She waved her hand in the air, "It was no trouble at all. Now here, take your things and have a wonderful evening."

   Handing me my bag of newly bought items, I bid her farewell and left. Once the smell of fresh air hit my nostrils-replacing the thick smell of insence-I sighed with relief and relaxed. With long strides, I walked as fast as I could away from the little shop and made a turn without looking as I reached the corner of the block.

   Right smack dab into the person I'd been hoping to run into this entire time.

   Klaus.