27

I was tired but only because it's 5:30 am and I'm pulling a second all nighter. Quil and Seth are patrolling together, some border thing Jake wants them to do. Jacob hadn't let me out of his sight. He stood facing the river while myself rested against the tree behind him. I could feel my head jerking up every twenty seconds or so. I'm trying to stay awake, just in case we're ambushed by the Cullen's or Sam's pack. You never know. 

Jacob turned to me with a small smile. Behind it was all the love in the world, the kind of look Jared gives Kim. It's new, at least for Jacob. A rustling had my eyes rolling lazily over to an approaching figure. Leah. She snorted at me as my head jerked up again. "Get some rest, April. It's late".

I lazily pointed my finger at her, it swayed more towards Jacob than my sister. "Y-you rest".

Leah huffed and shared an amusement look with Jacob. "She'll pass out eventually. I give her ten minutes tops".

I groaned as I jereked my head up accompanied by a sniff. "I-I'm awake".

Jacob chuckled at me. "Nah, I give her five".

Jacob smiled at me before staring back out at the river. He sighed. "I know they're out there somewhere, but I can't hear them anymore. It's so quiet".

Leah nodded. "I stopped hearing them too. The second I decided to leave, it's nice."

He turned to her then and I could barely keep my eyes open. Just as he was about to respond, I cut him off. "I-I can't feel Quil".

They both stared at me. Leah looked amused and Jacob gave me a small smile. "That's because he's too far away from you but don't worry, he can still feel you".

My only response was head trying to jerk up. 

They turned back to each other, I guess figuring I'll crash any second now. Jacob looked Leah up and down in disapproval. "You should go back to him".

She scoffed. "Sam's the reason I left. Look, we don't have to like each other I just need to follow you".

I stared at my sisters form. "I like you". It was more of a whisper but Leah still stared back to me with a small smile. She sighed before facing Jacob again. "Being unwanted isn't exactly a new thing for me.". When Jacob didn't respond she turned around and began walking away but stopped when she looked me. She sighed at me before turning back to Jacob. "Look, I'll stay out of your way. I'll do whatever you want except go back to Sam's pack and be the pathetic ex-girlfriend he can't get away from".

Her pretty brown eyes swept over me before staring back at Jacob. "You don't know how many times I wished I could imprint on someone. Anyone".

Jacob nodded slightly in understanding. "Just to break the connection".

I huffed from under my tree. "My sister stays". They both stared down at me as I let out a rather long yawn. "S-Sam said he'd still kill her. All of us, I don't want him around Leah".

Leah's head tipped in confusion and Jacob frowned down at me. "When did he tell you that?".

I jerked my head up, sleep nearly overcoming me. "At the meeting".

Leah scoffed down at me. "What meeting?"

I yawned again. "The big one". They shared a look between the two of them. Jacob nodded at me in almost pride?. "Get some rest April, we'll talk about it tomorrow".

I frowned up at him. "A-and Leahstsys".

He smiled at me and turned to Leah in amusement. "Yeah, Leah stays. Who else would cover my flank?".

I nodded. "Gouud".

Leah smiled at us. My eyes were already closed but I felt someone kiss my forehead before my sisters voice whispered. "Thank you".

A/N

Okay so a short chapter. But I thought this scene was important so I think it deserves its own chapter. Obviously all other chapters will be the usual length but idk I think it just needs to be a stand a alone to show the character development of April, Jacob and Leah. I think I'm done updating for today and hopefully will have the next chapter up later tomorrow night. Maybe like 11 or midnight (Australian time), knowing me it'll probably be late at night haha.