Chapter 7

"You look lovely as always Miss May," Sirius says as he sits down next to me at the library. "Can't say the same for you Snivellus."

I have to bite my lip to keep from laughing, "Knock it off, please?"

Sirius, being himself, doesn't listen to a word I say. "Why aren't you having Lily help you, huh?"

"She wasn't available," the other boy replies, annoyance creeping into his voice.

"So why does Octavia have to help you?"

"Slug club," I sigh, "because I'm horrendously mediocre at most things, and mostly got in because of who I am, I have to do certain academic favors for other members of the club to prove my worth. Frankly, I couldn't care less about whatever it is Slughorn thinks he's providing me through the club, but my pride won't allow me to get kicked out now when I've been in since first year."

Sirius nudges me reassuringly, "I don't think you're horrendously mediocre at anything."

"Like your opinion matters," Snape says under his breath.

I roll my eyes, "Can this not be a constant pissing match?"

"I'm just sitting here," Sirius whines. He's starting to bother me. He isn't just sitting here innocently and he knows it.

Snape looks as though he's winding up a deep dig at Sirius, "I don't know why you allow yourself to be seen with this—"

I cut him off, "I swear to God if you say blood traitor, Sev..."

"Well that's what he is," he gathers up his things, "and that's what you are too. Blood traitors. It's disgusting."

I cross my arms and shrug, "At least we've got blood to betray, instead of hopelessly trying to belong to something we know we'll never actually belong to."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"What do you think it's supposed to mean?" I hiss, "You want to be a Death Eater so badly, but they'll always see you as second rate. It's pathetic."

He clenches his jaw, "You can make fun of me all you want, but I can get you kicked out of the club."

I tap my fingernails on the table patiently, "I'm afraid I could say the same for you, sweetheart, you did call Sirius and I a pretty mean slur, and I'm pretty sure that would take precedent over whatever it is you'd have to say about me. Now piss off before you say anything else you'll regret." The boy stomps off and I breathe a sigh of relief, "Thank the lord that's over."

"You didn't have to defend me like that," Sirius murmurs. "I hear it all the time."

"Well, he called me the same thing," I smirk faintly, "so don't think it was all about you."

"Do you think you'll get in trouble for what you said?"

I shake my head, "No, he's smart enough to understand that acting against me isn't in his best interests."

"Why is that?" he leans on his elbow and looks at me curiously.

"Well, even with this whole fiasco about you and I being friends, I am quite popular in my house, and he isn't, despite his silly attempts at pretending to be a blood supremacist. He doesn't realize how ridiculous he looks spouting that nonsense while pining after Lily in the way he does," I bite the inside of my cheek to stifle a laugh, "I mean if someone's going to believe in those sorts of things, I'd respect them much more if they fully committed to it."

"Go big or go home," he chuckles.

"Exactly," I put away my astronomy notes and get out a book that I'm reading at the moment, "See, your brother's got the right idea. He's like the poster boy for their whole movement. Total commitment to the cause. Massive respect for him."