Chapter 9

"I can't believe he would do that," Narcissa shakes her head. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have told you to go for it. You probably feel like a fool."

"I do," I peer up from my homework, "but I still like him, and I can't bring myself to be angry at him, as much as I want to be. Is that bad?"

"Well, you mentioned he had a good reason to not be there, and he had no idea what you had planned, so it seems like a pretty innocent mistake to me."

"You don't think it's a sign that I shouldn't tell him?"

"Listen, I know your family's into fortunes and divination and all that, but it is possible for something to just be a coincidence, and I think what happened was just an unfortunate coincidence."

With every passing minute, I start feeling more and more awful about how I treated Sirius today, "Yeah it was, I guess. I should probably apologize for getting mad at him. I was a bit unfair."

"I'm not saying you need to apologize. He did leave you standing out in the cold, all alone for an hour. Just make nice and stop avoiding him."

"I'm not avoiding him."

"You always do your homework in the library, and today you've suddenly decided to do it the one place he can't find you."

"No," I lie, "I just wanted to do it in the common room for a change, that's all. I'm hardly ever in here and I wanted to hang out with everyone for a change. I'm not avoiding him."

She rolls her eyes, "Octavia, you hate the common room. Everyone knows that."

"Okay," I concede, "I'm avoiding him for today, but I won't avoid him tomorrow, and I'll get everything figured out."

"You'd better, I'm tired of seeing you mope around."

"It's only been a day, and I'm not moping."

"Yes you are, and it's obnoxious enough that I can only take a day of it."

I roll my eyes, "That's a bit rude."

She shrugs, "It's the truth."

"Whatever," I go back to doing my homework, "He probably went to look for me in the library, I wonder if he thinks I'm avoiding him?"

"She wasn't in the library," Sirius groaned and flipped down on his bed, "She always does homework in the library. Why wouldn't she be there today?"

"She's probably avoiding you," Peter murmured, "why else would she not be there? She's probably staying in the Slytherin dungeon because you can't get to her there."

Sirius frowned, "That's not very nice."

"Neither is leaving her to stand in the cold, Pads," James huffed. "I'd say she's getting fair payback."

"What if she never forgives me?"

"Everyone can see that she's in love with you, she'll forgive you."

"Do you think everyone can tell that I'm in love with her?" the longer haired boy mused.

"Everyone except her, apparently," Remus chuckled as he stepped into the room.

"How does she not know?" James shook his head, "It's so obvious."

"I dunno," Sirius sighed, "I'm just gonna have to tell her. It's the only way I can fix this mess."

Remus raised his eyebrows, "You're going to tell her? When?"

"When I give her the necklace, when else would I tell her?"