Chapter 26

Dear Tavie,
Please promise me you'll try to stay safe. Apparently my parents saw your letter to Regulus and he said they're angrier than he's ever seen them before. Why would you say shit like that? You know their connections to him. You know it really wouldn't be that much a stretch for them to ask that he send out someone to take care of you. I can't lose you. I don't think you realize the danger you put yourself in by sending that.

Sincerely,
Sirius

"He can't tell me what to do," I murmur angrily to myself before crumpling the letter and tossing it in the trash.

"That was aggressive," Lucy comments, "What did he say?"

"It doesn't even matter," I grumble as I start to own my letter back to him.

Sirius,
Your parents can't just order my execution because I called your family inbred (which it is, sorry. I'm sure you know that) and told Reg to be a man and take a side. I'm perfectly fine, and besides, everywhere I go is so full of muggles, they wouldn't dare attack me. The last thing Voldemort needs is the fucking Pentagon on his ass, which is what would happen if he decided to attack me here. There would be no covering it up to muggle authorities. They'd be dropping bombs on Malfoy Manner in a matter of hours. I'd actually like to see that. Ha. Anyway, don't worry about me, and I'll say what I want to your brother. Someone has to knock some sense into him.

Yours,
Octavia

"What's going on between you and him, anyway? I thought you were seeing Jake now."

"Jake's just a friend," I snap a bit too harshly.

"Alright," she raises her hands in surrender, "forget I asked. But does he know that you're just friends?"

I shrug and shake my head, "No idea."

"Don't you think that's something you should establish?"

"I will when necessary."

"So when he finally tries to make a move you're just going to shoot him down?"

"Yes."

She rolls her eyes, "Good luck with that."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"All I'm saying is that you have a tendency to get caught up in the moment."

She's absolutely right, of course, but it's not like I can just admit that. "I do not."

"So you can honestly tell me that if guitar god Jake started making out with you, you wouldn't let him?"

"Yes!"

"I'm gonna hold you to that."

I cross my arms, "Fine."

She hops off my bed and gathers her purse and other things, "Now get your ass moving, we have a party waiting for us."

I tuck my letter to Sirius in an envelope and place it on the windowsill for an owl to take. Jake's going to be at this party, and I pray that I'll be to keep my word with Lucy, otherwise I'll never hear the end of it.

"How'd you even get him to be so obsessed with you anyway? His friends say he talks about you nonstop."

Well, we're both wizards, to begin with. "I'm just a cool gal, I guess."

"I guess so. I don't know how you pick between them all. I've never even seen that James guy you said you dated, but I get a feeling he's hot."

"He is, but he's a nice boy so you probably wouldn't like him."