Chapter 13

"She said she was sorry," Sirius paced around their dormitory angrily, "She felt awful for you, and you still had the audacity to go after her until she cried. You told her she would never belong, which is nowhere near being true, and you know that. What's gotten into you, Moony? I thought you were cool with her."

"I am," Remus buried his head in his hands, "or at least I was. Everything just gets amplified around the full moon, and what started with being a little cross about last night spiraled out of control. I realize I messed up. I will apologize, I promise. I feel terrible about it now."

"She was really broken up about it in class," James added lightly. "It was hard to see. She really cares about you, Remus."

Remus just hugged his knees to his chest, "I know, and I wish I'd just shut up, but I couldn't, no matter how hard I tried. I do consider her one of my closest friends. I didn't mean anything I said."

"Well, make sure you tell her that," Peter suggested, "I'm not going to pretend I'm as close with her as you three are, but I think if you just let her cool down and then offer a genuine apology, she'll forgive you eventually," he chuckled softly, "I mean, look at how many times Pads has messed up and she's forgiven him every single time."

"You don't need to rub it in," Sirius smirked, and the mood sort of lightened. Everything would be okay.

•••

"He's gonna apologize," Sirius assures as we walk along the edge of the Black Lake. The weather isn't the best; it's cold and the dampness in the air threatens rain, but it feels nice to get out and stretch my legs, "he didn't mean any of it. Sometimes he's still a bit aggressive after the full moon. I should've warned you."

I shrug, "Don't worry about it. I just want to move on from it all, and he was partially right. I have sort of encroached on your friend group, and I think it's for the best that I give the guys some space for a while."

"You haven't encroached even a little. They all love hanging out with you and you're pretty much an honorary marauder at this point."

"No I'm not," I shake my head, "You don't have to say that just to make me feel better. You guys have known each other for years, and I just came along a few months ago. I'm nowhere near being on that level."

"Yes you are, it isn't about how long you've known everyone, it's about how you've been an amazing friend. Honestly, I think James might have a heart attack if he didn't have you to ask for girl advice anymore," he looks at me with a frown, "Come on, cheer up. There's nothing to worry about, and I hate seeing you so down."

I purse my lips before speaking, "But don't you think he wouldn't have said those things if he didn't actually feel that way just a little? There had to be some truth to what he said. A tiny part of him has to feel like I'm overstepping."

"Listen, I don't know what a tiny part of him feels, but I do know that he didn't mean what he said. He told me himself. It was all the full moon."

"I don't know... I think I just need to take a break from your friends. I just feel like I'm causing drama and I don't want to be that person. You all deserve to just be guys for a little while."

"But I don't want you to be left out."

"I won't be left out. I have other friends I can spend time with, it won't be a problem."

"You'd better not be spending time with that brother of mine," he says, only half joking.

I roll my eyes, "He's just a kid, Sirius, and he's always been very sweet to me. Like I've said before a million times, the whole pureblood nonsense might just be a phase he grows out of. You never know. He might see the light one day if you'd just show him."