Chapter 17

James and I have been "studying" together for nearly a week, and of course Remus has started to get suspicious of my repeated absences from the library. I haven't told him outright what I've been doing yet, but I suppose one can only assume when we come into the Great Hall at the same time every evening for dinner.

Today James enters the muggle studies room with a mischievous look on his face, and I already know I'm in for something interesting.

"You wanna go study in my room today?" he smirks.

"I guess we could..." is he actually insane? "It's a bit busy right now though, won't I get caught?"

"Put this on," he hands me a weird, silky old cloak. "Go on, it's harmless."

I put the cloak on hesitantly, keeping my head uncovered, "What's it supposed to do?"

"It's an invisibility cloak," he grins.

I look down at where my hands should be and they aren't there, "Holy shit..." I pull the hood up so I don't just look like a floating head, "How come I never knew about this?"

"It's kind of a secret," he heads back towards the door, "Now come on, follow me, and try not to bump into anyone."

I do as he says, and eventually I find myself in the Gryffindor common room, surrounded by people who don't even know I'm here. He leads me up to their dormitory, which is thankfully empty at the moment.

I take off the cloak and hand it to him, "That was weird."

He pulls me to him by my waist, "Pretty wicked, huh?"

"Pretty wicked," I agree. "Are you sure the others won't be up here anytime soon?"

"Well, Remus is always in the library late, which you know, and Peter's struggling with his classes so he's with Remus today, and Sirius... well, he should be with the others."

"Should be?" I raise an eyebrow, "He is the last person I would want to walk through that door right now, and you're telling me you don't actually know what he's up to?"

He brushes it off, "Don't worry, if he isn't with the others, he's probably hanging out with Marlene somewhere. He's been doing quite a bit of that lately."

"He's been hanging out with Marlene?"

"Yeah, why do you ask?"

"No reason," I kiss him slowly, taking off my robe in the process, and eventually he cautiously pulls me down onto his bed with him.

"Hey Octavia," he murmurs softly, "we don't have to do anything more that kiss, right?"

"No," I smile, "not if you don't want to."

"Okay," he relaxes with relief, "because I've never... um... I've never actually done it."

"Neither have I," I brush some of his messy hair away from his eyes, "So don't worry about it."

"Wait, you haven't? I thought you and Sirius—"

"Never got the chance," I pull him into another kiss, "he didn't have an invisibility cloak."

"I suppose not," he smirks cheekily, and we continue on, but not for long because footsteps start to sound from the stairs outside. By now I've ditched my sweater, tie, and shoes as well, and panic starts to take hold. Please God don't let it be Sirius. I gather my clothes to the best of my ability, and James tosses the invisibility cloak over me just before the door opens. It would appear my prayers have been answered, because it's only Remus.

I breathe as quietly as humanly possible as I watch the scene unfold in front of me.

"What's up Prongs?" he asks suspiciously.