Chapter 5: I'm Not Gay

August:

-

August 28th, 1995
Monday - Southwest Miami High

Eli arrived at exactly 7:00am. He went to get out of his car to pick her up properly but Karla already spotted him from her window, zoomed through the halls and yelled to her parents last minute that she'd be getting a ride, then bolted out the door in a hurry so she wouldn't have to explain herself. She also didn't want Eli to meet her parents yet. The boy, puzzled by her attitude and burst of energy this early, laughed off his confusion as he opened the door to his Jeep for Karla before he hopped in and drove off.

He came bearing chocolate donuts and an iced coffee for his crush, to which she politely accepted and thanked him with a surprise kiss on the cheek. Eli complimented her look: loose hair styled with butterfly clips on her twists, white short sleeve turtleneck tucked into a plaid pleated skirt, black knee socks and platform shoes to match; Karla complimented his as well: puka shells around his neck, grey and red Abercrombie t-shirt, blue jeans and shiny white sneakers. He cleaned up nice. Not quite charming like Leonardo but close enough!

Eli was too nervous to look at her often, Karla shamelessly stared away whenever she felt like it. He went on about how he wasn't looking forward to practice four times a week but was definitely looking forward to the game this Friday. Karla didn't know enough about Football to give any input, so she happily listened while also drifting off to daydream. Eli expected her to talk about cheerleading but all she had to say was that she liked being a flyer, loved wearing the uniforms, didn't care for the excessive gossiping and admitted the only reason she agreed to the sport was because it gave her an excuse to run around, flip and burn off all the of energy that troubled her throughout the day.

"Hey, what are you doing Thursday after school?" asked Eli while turning into the school's parking lot, driving slowly behind a school bus coming in this way.

"Me?" Karla wiped the chocolate frosting from the bottom corner of her lip and continued chewing. Eli's crystal blue eyes sparkled as he laughed.

"Yeah, you! Who else is in the car with me?" he opened the glove compartment and handed her a napkin. "Jesus, you're a mess. In case you need it."

"I'm sorry," she wiped her fingers, face flushed deep red.

"It's okay, it's cute. I'm glad you like your donut."

"Oh yeah, it's delicious!"

"So about Thursday?" he tried again.

"Uh-huh?" Karla checked her appearance in the side mirror.

"Are you...free? By any chance?"

"Freedom is a concept. I mean, are we really free?" she turned and flashed a smirk.

Eli cleared his throat and scratched the back of his neck, focusing on the road. "That's not...that's not what I meant."

"I know, I was just messing," she rubbed her arm and cursed her horrible timing for jokes. "Yes. Yes I am available on Thursday night. Or afternoon. Really I'm just available. Kinda makes you wonder."