Chapter 3: Homecoming

Friday night was a major success for the Southwest Miami Eagles. With the score being 31-20 against the Northwestern Bulls, and the clock down to fifteen seconds, there was no doubt in mind that the Eagles were bringing the win home. The players got so cocky, they almost agreed to not try to score one more touchdown - out of pity for the other team and because they were tiring out anyway. The cloudy night sky above grumbled and growled as Eli got ready to shout the play, eyeballing his teammates then lingering a little longer on Andy, as he was going to make the last touchdown. The bleachers were jam packed with energetic people, stomping and clapping, buzzing with elation and anxiety as they anticipated how the homecoming game was going to end. The cheerleaders chanted, encouraging the players while the opposing side jeered and hyped their team up. The atmosphere was electric - even the school's commentators were on the edge of their seats, enthralled by the trick plays, the grit, the fight and the dominance the Eagles demonstrated tonight.

"MOTOWNNN! MOTOWN THIRTY-EIGHT!" Eli bellowed with all his might. He then paused, evaluated his offensive linemen, then shouted again. "HOT SAUCE THIRTEEN! HOT SAUCE THIRTEEN! READYYYY...SET, HUT, HUT!"

Eli caught the ball and analysed his surroundings, using his impeccable vision for the game to spot a secure opening before it was too late. He backpedaled while holding the ball near his ear, then threw deep - a brown bundle of pigskin launching downfield, caught by none other than running back Andy McIntyre who spun and dodged the two cornerbacks from the opposing team attempting to tackle him. The blonde haired boy accelerated with full force, his legs like lightning with every hard step that resulted in his lungs feeling as though they were on fire. The crowd roared, popcorn and nachos spilling everywhere as they jumped to their feet and thrusted their arms into the air. Andy gained an all too easy eleven yards, crashing into the end zone to score the winning touchdown.

The players clashed and collided on the field, hollering and celebrating the big win as the cheerleaders rushed the field to join them. Whistles blew, the coaches and most of the players from both sides shook hands as good sportsmanship, the sea of bodies in the expansive bleachers went ballistic. Andy got his praise for sure but that didn't last very long. Eli was still the man of the match for making that throw that got him the touchdown. Jealousy was there but seldom showed; Andy was a good sport who kept his mouth shut.

After the celebratory motivational speech in the locker room, and after the boys had a shower, Eli was first to meet up with the cheerleading team. He accepted more 'congratulations' and entertained a few conversations, but Eli had his focus directed on one particular cheerleader who didn't do so bad for her first high school game. He ignored everybody who begged for his attention and raced to Karla Cabello who was alongside Carlie and Normani in the parking lot. Out of breath and relieved to have finally been granted a moment to speak to her without the entire school bombarding him, Eli took her petite hands in his and looked straight into her auburn eyes.

"Camila..." he paused, "I'm sorry this is so late, I was just very shy and didn't have the courage to ask you yet...but I do now. And I sincerely hope nobody beat me to it," he drew in a deep breath then exhaled the same. "Will you please be my date to the homecoming dance tomorrow evening?"

Normani smirked and grabbed Carlie's arm, the two of them squealing with excitement because this was perfect for them - and for Karla. They weren't that close with Eli, but if she agreed and eventually decided to go steady with him, that meant frequent invites to his family's massive beach house in Indialantic - only Andy and friends of whoever he was dating at the time got invited. That beach house and the parties he'd throw there was a pretty big deal considering celebs had the tendency of pulling up to them; those celebrities were famous actors/actresses that worked with Eli's parents.