Chapter 15: First Time

Saturday - November 1995

"Why would I need to wear something sexy if the entire point of sex is to get naked?" Karla took the lingerie Dinah showcased to her and put it right back on the rack. She sighed for the hundredth time and advanced ahead of the taller blonde, going straight for the cash register.

"Girl, haven't you heard of a little thing called 'foreplay'?" said Dinah, picking up the two-piece lingerie again despite Karla's rejection.

"That's like kissing and stuff right?"

"It's more than just kissing," she took the box of lube from Karla's hands and put it on the counter for the lady to scan along with the lingerie Karla gasped at with shame. "Relax, you'll thank me later. I'm paying for it anyway," she calmed her with a gentle hand on her shoulder before taking out her credit card from her wallet. "Anything you can do to turn the other person on before actually doing it is considered foreplay. Wearing something sexy gets them excited, you show off your sex appeal, they'll be begging to rip their clothes off and have sex with y—"

"Please stop saying that word," Karla glanced at the cashier whose lips were tightened in an upwards curve as she did her best to pretend that she didn't have any thoughts of her own on the matter. Karla faced away from them both, wishing that the ground would just swallow her up.

"Take it from me, I know what I'm talking about," Dinah boasted. She swiped her card and smiled at the young woman. "It's her first time. You agree with me, right? A little lingerie won't hurt nobody. Tell her!"

"I'm sorry," she giggled. "Will that be all today, miss?" the cashier handed Dinah the pink shopping bag.

"Yes, thank you. Come on, let's go get something to eat."

Dinah and Karla wandered throughout the mall mostly full of teenagers hanging out for the weekend, doing less shopping and more lounging or antagonising each other and the families passing by when their backs were turned. So much stimulation in one place, Karla could hardly keep up with Dinah talking her ear off. There was the intoxicating aroma of a pizza from Sbarro, some popcorn, fries, cinnamon bites, the hot dogs on sticks, and Subway sandwiches wafting through the air, cycling through different food scents within every few feet. The display windows distracted Karla, as so often she would find something that she liked; the F.Y.E store did have a set of brand new cameras she could use for self audition tapes for her portfolio, as well as some costumes; Gadzooks had some interesting Punk tees on mannequins she thought would impress Lauren if she wore them. Then there were those frosted cookie slices from Mrs. Fields she always wanted to try but haven't yet since whomever she was with always wanted something else—and she was a people pleaser after all...

"Did you hear what I said?" Dinah nudged her.

Karla blinked and turned to her friend, dazed. She blinked again and shook her head. "I'm sorry, what did you say?"

"Could you go for some Panda Express?"

Ugh, not really. "Sure! I don't mind."

Karla gave Dinah a few dollars for a drink and an egg roll to buy while she snagged them an empty table of three yellow metal chairs. Moments later Dinah returned with a tray with Karla's small order and a packed tray for herself. Dinah wasted no time digging in, Karla merely sipped her drink and looked around, nervous over the alarming amount of familiar faces from school popping up everywhere. She hoped her boyfriend and her friends weren't about to be one of them. She sought out Dinah yesterday and made plans to go to the mall with her on a special request she felt she could only trust her with. Dinah had a very calming aura and likable personality that didn't make Karla feel judged unlike Normani and Carlie. And the softball player was more than eager to spend time with the still considered "new girl" in Southwest Miami High.