Chapter 6: Try To Trust Me

August 31st, 1995
Thursday - Southwest Miami High

"But that's what I'm trying to figure out, it's a very curious matter and deserves to properly be discussed. Nobody I've spoken to about it can give me valid reasons and opinions that make sense, the other half just gets all emotional—I just wanna know why infidelity is so popular in literature and movies—particularly movies. That new movie that's coming out in two months, 'To Die For', everybody says it's gonna be good and they're super excited to see it but why?"

Miles tossed his head back and sighed for the last time. Danny buried his face into his hands, Lauren carried on watching the cheerleaders practice their routines for fun (out of uniform) from high up in the bleachers. Julian was the only person interested in having this conversation with Marilyn.

"Right. The actress is hot, isn't she?" he asked, leaning forward.

"I guess so—"

"Us lads, that's all we give a shit about, or at least that's how it is for me. And the girls are hot for Joaquin Phoenix, they're gonna see the film just for him. Look at it this way, darling, people are interested in the plot of the film, yes, but not so much if the leads aren't attractive favourites of theirs. Unless you're a movie buff, people are very fucking shallow with plots and no one actually cares just as long as they're turned on."

"Well I disagree. I don't think that's true at all. I think people do care very much about the plot, and having an attractive cast is a bonus. I also think that when cheating is involved and the cheaters happen to be married, that draws in a very large crowd because it's quote-on-quote sexy and interesting to watch. And there are many unhappy married people who wish they can do the same and choose to fantasise about it with these films - like a guilty pleasure. Being unfaithful is an obsession and people like watching the act being done because it is pleasurable although they can't say the same when they're the ones getting cheated on. It's fucking weird. I'm only saying what everyone else is afraid to," Marilyn so passionately stated.

"Okay that may be true," said Danny. "Shane brought over this tape he stole from his dad's study and put it on during band practice. It was this hot redheaded broad fucking her husband's best friend in the same bed while he was sleeping. I thought that was hot. Almost even stole it for myself."

Lauren tuned in to that part and crinkled her nose in disgust. Danny was an actual pig she was so sick of hearing talk sometimes. But she didn't comment on it, she pretended to still be zoned out and went back to Karla getting tossed in the air to strike a Liberty pose.

"Dude, please tell me he still has that tape. I'd love to see that," Miles pleaded. "Playboy only gets me so far."

"But if either of you were the husband sleeping in that bed, you'd be crying your eyes out. You see?" Marilyn thrust out her hand and shook her head. "Why contradict yourselves like that?"

"Oh, I don't even wanna think about that," Danny glanced at Lauren, starting to feel sick.

"Marilyn, you're gonna sit here and tell us you don't enjoy plots revolving around infidelity?" Julian inquired, munching on the stack of pringles he shoved into his mouth. "You liked watching 'Age of Innocence' and 'Dangerous Liaisons', those have to do with cheating. You root it on for the thrill. And you know you love to be the other woman some prick is getting off to while his lady is somewhere wondering why he hasn't called her back yet because it boosts your self esteem."

Marilyn swept back her teased hair and leaned against the row behind her, arms propped on the seat as she soaked up the sun beating down on all of them. She closed her eyes and said, "I just wanna know the science behind it and how those saints who aren't the slightest bit amused by cheating altogether come to be so lucky. But despite how I feel about it, I'd never do that to anyone, let me clarify."