Chapter 34

"Do be safe in your travels," Daealla said to Glorfindel as he mounted his horse, "And know that you are always welcome here."

He nodded in understanding and looked to me.

"You must come back when the baby arrives" I proposed and placed a hand on my abdomen.

Glorfindel gave a charming smile and took hold of his reigns.

"You can count on my presence, My Lady," he said and allowed his eager horse to take him away.

Daealla and I watched as the light of dawn chased Glorfindel across the plain. It seemed almost as if the sun followed after him; as if the only light in the world emanated from the golden crown of hair that sat on his head.

Though seeing Glorfindel again brought me joy, it still hurt to see him go. Within a short moment, he had disappeared into the trees of the outlying forest. All I could think of was that he was no longer here, just as Thranduill wasn't here. Soon he'd be back though. Soon...

Not soon enough, though.

I heaved a sigh from my chest and folded my hands in front me, looking down at the ring on my finger.

"Come my dear," Daealla said softly as she guidingly wrapped an arm around my back, "Our troublemakers will be home shortly, so let's go enjoy a few more moments of peace before it's too late."

Her jest pulled a laugh from me. I knew she missed them as much as I did.

"Yes, I believe that is a wonderful idea," I agreed and the two of us ascended the stairs to prepare for a long overdue homecoming.

***

The remainder of the week drug by at a painfully slow rate and to make matters worse, the company was overdue. It was a day past the expected arrival time of Thranduil and his father. Worry hovered over me no matter what my task was. I did my best to stay focused while assisting Daealla with food storage plans and winter clothing preperations but too much was on my mind.

"(Y\N), you must calm yourself. I'm astonished at the fact that you haven't worn away your skin to the bone from twisting your ring so much!"

My finger was beginning to feel a bit raw but I hadn't noticed until she brought it to my attention.

"I'm sorry, My Queen," I said and looked down at the piece of parchment she gave me to be double checked, "I'm just anxious."

"They're just delayed, is all. There's no need to worry. It happens more often than you would think."

I nodded and got back to work. It was useless though. The numbers all ran together and it gave me a swirling headache. Finally, I told Daealla I was going to take a break and took off for the kitchen in search of a glass of something to drink and anything sweet to nibble on.

Saevel was there when I walked in and she offered a warm smile.

"How are you this morning, My Princess?"

"Not as well as I would like," I huffed and reached into a basket that held strawberry tarts.

I immediately took a bite from it, knowing that the way I was eating it wasn't ladylike at all.

"Don't worry, (Y\N). I'm sure they'll be home soon."

The door that leads from the kitchen to the palace garden, opened and in walked Valori, covered in dirt and holding a basket of carrots and potatoes that was almost as big as herself. She took one glance at me before walking up to Saevel.

"Oh, there you are," Saevel said and put back on her polished expression that demanded respect, "Those will have to be wash thoroughly before being put into storage. You had better get started now because I have a list of other tasks that Daealla has given me to be carried out."

I realized then that there was heirarchy, not just in royalty and nobility, but for those who worked under them too. Saevel might have been a servant in the palace, but she didn't do things such as dig in a garden or sweep the floors. She helped run the palace, which was not much different than what Daealla does from time to time. I felt a sense of pride in Saevel and hoped she knew how much I respected her.

Valori nodded. Reluctantly, she heaved the basket to a pan filled with water that was about the length of a bathtub and began to pour the vegetables in.

Saevel looked back to me.

"Is there anything I can get you," she asked, "You haven't been nauseous or faint again, have you?"

I shook my head and pulled my eyes from the back of Valori who was scrubbing away at a potato.

"No, not lately. I do have a headache, though."

Without hesitation, Saevel turned a cabinet and pulled out a stalk of dried feverfew flowers. I groaned at the sight of them. I had been consuming feverfew for weeks now, trying to keep my pregnancy symptoms at bay, and just by looking at them I could already taste the bitterness on my tongue.

"I know," Saevel laughed as she put a kettle of water over the fireplace.

"I'm almost inclined to just deal with pain," I grinned and finished off my last few bites of the tart.

A horn sounded. It was loud enough to make it through the walls of the palace and immediately I knew what it was for. The gates were opening.

Saevel looked to me, eyes wide with excitement. Even Valori turned from her work to see if we had heard it too. I couldn't contain the laughter bubbling up inside and suddenly, my headache disappeared along with the worry and the doubt.

I dashed from the kitchen, sprinted through the halls, and would've burst through the enormous doors of the palace if the guards hadn't seen me coming and opened them just in time. I halted on the palace steps and observed the company galloping towards me. Riding on a perfectly white horse rode the King of Greenwood with a posture of grandeur, his silver circlet glimmering in the afternoon sunlight. Next to him, on a black horse, rode his son and the sight of him sent me flying down the steps, unyeilding to the approaching group of elves on horses.

He saw me and before I could see the expression on his face he had dismounted from his still trotting horse and ran towards me, throwing down a satchel that was draped across one of his shoulders. He looked dashing in his black riding gear and cloak. I slowed just enough so that we didn't collide with two much force and the feeling of when he encased in his arms was the ease I had missing in the weeks he had been gone.

He kissed me, long and hard, as if he had been thinking of doing it for a days. When he pulled away I searched his eyes and found longing in them.

"You're late," I said and kissed him again.

He pulled back to answer.

"Don't forget, you were the one who told me to go."

He laughed and met my grinning mouth.

"We have some catching up to do," he said against my lips and despite the cool breeze in the air, I was sure he could feel the heat from my cheeks next to his.

I know this is a short chapter but I hope you enjoyed it!