Chapter 5

I paced the floor, pondering over any idea that might save me from this life of restrainment. I could run away, but I'm not familiar with woods here and would easily get lost. Perhaps I could convince the King that I was unsuitable for his son but I knew he would be able to see past the facade to what my real intentions were. Maybe I could make Thranduil loathe me so much that he'd have to plea to his father for another arrangement. I know that's a lost cause too, though since proposals in the elven culture are hardly, if not ever, broken.

I was stuck here, and I knew it.

I noticed I had been twisting my betrothal ring so much around my finger that an imprint was beginning to be made. Seeing this irritated me even further and I flung off the ring and forcefully threw it onto the window seat.

It clanged against the wooden windowsill before landing on the cushion, the only sound that I could hear other than the occasional servants quietly talking to each other as they passed my door.

The party had long since been over and the help was making final adjustments to the building to resume the norms of everyday life in Greenwood.

It's early morning now and the sun is still far below the horizon. I wondered if I were to slip out for a spell, it might soothe my unpleasant mood but I still didn't know my way around the huge palace and the thought of bumping into my fiance turned my stomach with a newfound anger.

Deciding it was best to stay in my chambers, I pulled out one of my books and began flipping through the pages in a hurry to distract myself. The hours passed by and the next thing I knew, Saevel was knocking at my door.

"My Lady?"

Hearing her voiced calmed me. Itching for any polite conversation I quickly jumped up from my seat at a small table and glided to the door.

Flinging it open, I found an elleth of dark brown hair and blazing wide hazel eyes that caught the morning sunrise. Saevel had this sense of beauty about her that was undescribable. It was a humble beauty. When you looked at her, you felt as if you've known her forever and that she would listen to your problems without annoyance.

"Thank goodness," I sighed leaning my head on the door frame. "I am in need of pleasant company."

She just nodded and walked in when I moved back.

"Is there something wrong, My Lady?"

"Wrong? No," I smiled, "Nothing that a little conversation won't help."

She tilted her head slightly in confusion, moving uncomfortably on her feet.

"I could go find an adviser for you, or perhaps an elleth of high ranking around your age?"

"Actually, I was thinking of just talking with you."

The thought of bringing in an elleth about my age brought back the memory of Valori and that caused an immediate stir of displeasure in my stomach.

When Saevel just stood there I did my best to convince her to stay.

"Please, Saevel. I've been here for just a few days now and everything is so strange and different. You're the only elf I feel comfortable around," I felt my voice waver, "I had a friend back home who you remind me of very much and I miss her so."

Biting the inside of her lip, she walked over to the door that was left open and lightly closed.

She bowed her head to the ground, "My Lady, please forgive but I must insist that it is improper for a servant and a royal to be close in bond."

"A royal's job is to rule for the people, not over them," I stated, "I have no care how high in ranking they believe they are, no life is more valuable than another."