Chapter 15

I locked the door behind me and sank to the ground. I couldn't hear anything but my soft whimpers falling flat onto the floor. I knew I was just feeling sorry for myself but it didn't change the fact that it still hurt. Maybe this was what Thranduil felt when I left with Glorfindel.

I pulled my knees in and hid my face im my arms wrapped around them, letting myself cry until I felt at least a little better.

This was never meant to be. This can't be love. We both want other things in life and it's torture to keep this going, not just for me but for Thranduil as well. This was never going to work.

My head shot up with an idea I knew was crazy but I was too numb to care what the consequences may be. I ran to the wardrobe and yanked out a plain riding coat and pants. After I had taken off the dress and jewelry, I carefully laid them out and then threw on my new wardrobe. I scurried around the room for a bit, looking for a bag, satchel, or knapsack, anything that would hold provisions for the journey I was going to make.

In the very back of the armoire, I found a brown leather satchel that would be perfect and started to fill that with a bit of gold I had brought with me and a few cakes that were set out for when I begin to feel peckish.

"(Y/N)?"

Someone knocked at the door and it was a male. I felt my chest rise in panic so I quickly threw the satchel under one of the chairs and slowly walked to the door.

As I opened it, Glorfindel was standing there with worrisome blue eyes.

"Are you alright, (Y/N)? You left the party very abruptly and I must say you didn't look too happy."

I sighed.

"You were wrong, Glorfindel."

He tilted his head and tried to ease the door open a little wider since I was just peeking around it.

"Thranduil doesn't care for me, at least not in the way you thought. I just need a moment to myself please, and then I'll feel better."

"But (Y/N)-"

"Goodnight, Glorfindel."

I eased the door shut and took a deep breath. I listened for Glorfindel's light footsteps to trail away before I continued to pack.

I snatched up a pair of leather boots in the corner of the room and managed to find a silver canteen in a drawer next to the window.

Now it was time to plan my escape. I knew if I used the door, I would risk being seen so that only left one option. The window.

I opened the clear glass and peered down to how far I would fall before I hit the ground. I was only on the second story so I knew I could make it but the last thing I wanted to do was risk the chance of breaking a bone right before beginning a journey.

Right below the window was a small nook where I could hook my feet into and if I shuffled about ten feet to the corner of the building, I could slide down the slanted roof and simply jump to the ground without risk of hurting myself.

I should at least right note.

So I quickly ran to the table where I would have tea with Saevel in the mornings and scribbled down a quick note in hurried handwriting.

I know it may not make sense but Prince Thranduil and I were never meant to be. I'm sorry for the trouble I may have caused. Saevel, thank you for your kindness. Maewin, I love you dearly, my sister. Ada and Naneth, don't worry about me and please don't think this is your fault. I love you both.

-(Y/N)

That would have to do.

I slipped out the window and made my down, sliding carefully to the grass below and landing on both of my feet.