Chapter 20

"Look at you! You're beautiful!"

Maewin's cheerful words nearly brought my tears back and I noticed her eyes to be a little glassy as well. Her hair fell in a long braid down her back and she wore a dark blue gown with silver embroidery on her flaring sleeves as well as the bottom of it. I gifted her that dress years ago and since receiving it, she's worn it to nearly every formal event.

I gave her a quick hug. She smelled of spring and soap just as she always did. The scent was beginning to fade however, due to being in a foreign place for so long.

"I was worried I wouldn't be able to see you until the wedding."

"They've kept me busy," I said taking a seat next to the window, making it a point to stay away from the fresh tea that was placed on the far side of the room.

"Where's the dress you brought with you," she asked searching the room. Saevel had taken it with her in hopes of being able to make a little bit of progress on the stain.

I placed a hand over my face to shield the exhaustion in my demeanor.

"Valori. It was an accident," I huffed. Maybe if I kept telling myself it was an accident then it would come true and I wouldn't have to watch my back for the rest of my life.

"Valori? Who's Val-... Oh, wait! Is that the elleth who caused all the trouble?"

"Unfortunately, yes. She's been demoted to a servant."

I noticed a sudden change in Maewin's expression as she cast her eyes to the ground and immediately I realized it was too late to take back what I said.

"I'm sorry, Maewin. You know I don't think there's anything wrong with being a servant. It-"

"Don't apologize, (Y/N). I do know you, very well in fact. You're too kind to let a rank define a person."

She managed a weak smile before turning the conversation in a different direction.

"So what did she do to your dress?"

"Spilled some tea. It nearly caused her to be out of work entirely," I shook my head, "But I couldn't let that happen."

"Well why not," Maewin exclaimed, "After all that she's done to you?!"

She sat down next to me.

Before I could answer I had to take a quick breath.

"Thranduil cares for her."

It hurt a bit to say it out loud even though he's already assured me it's nothing more than a friendship.

"Really? And you still want to marry him?"

"It's not like that, he's told me they're nothing more than friends but..."

I trailed off not wanting to think about it anymore.

I guess Maewin understood so she took my hand and gave it a quick squeeze.

"Hey, you didn't see what I saw. He told her to leave the party immediately and had a guard escort her out. It's going to be okay."

I smiled.

"I know it will."

***

"Are you ready?"

No, no, no, I'm not ready. My life is taking off and I can barely keep up with it.

I was going to be the last one to enter the ceremony. A "dramatic entrance" as Queen Daealla had said.

"Yes," I lied.

Saevel made some last minute adjustments to the gown by smoothing it out.

"Okay, give it about five minutes after I leave and then you follow."