Chapter 11

Just as he had promised, I saw Thranduil very soon after our true feelings were shared to the guards on the portico. I had retreated to my quarters after lingering outside for an hour or so, only getting lost once but quickly finding my way back by myself.

I had to get ready for our guests and I called Saevel in to help, mostly just because I wanted a bit of company to calm my nerves.

"The attire for this kind of event is most definitely formal," Saevel said running through the wardrobe.

I groaned. Don't get me wrong, I like a beautiful gown just as much as the next elven princess but the process of getting ready and wearing the dress for a long period of time is always so daunting.

"Do not worry," Saevel giggled without turning around, "I know how you feel about over extravagant gowns so I believe this one will please you as well as anyone who lays eyes upon you."

She spun around to face me and swishing in her hands was a dark indigo dress that glimmered slightly in the candle light.

It was impossible for me to retain an audible gasp.

"Saevel it's absolutely stunning! You never cease to amaze me with your keen eye for attire."

She blushed and held it out towards me.

"Well let's put this on, shall we."

I slipped into the dress and allowed Saevel to tend to the detail.

It's transparent fabric was light at my shoulder with lace trailing across my back. It seemed to fit just right.

"Saevel?"

"Hm?"

"Where do all of these gowns come from?"

She looked up at me from browsing over a large wooden box she had pulled from the wardrobe.

"Most of it is from the Queen and nearly all of your wardrobe is one of a kind and hand sewn by the top tailors and seamstresses in the kingdom."

"Oh."

I really didn't expect for anyone to go so far out of their way to make sure I had all the "necessities" of living here. I really needed to spend some quality time with Queen Daealla. She has been exceedingly thoughtful towards me arriving in Greenwood for the first time. I hadn't even properly thanked her yet so I decided that tonight I would express my gratitude for her kindness.

Amid my thought, Saevel had carefully adorned my carefully braided (Y/H/C) hair with circlet of silver leaves and sapphire stone.

"Saevel," I gasped again when I looked at my reflection in a tiny mirror on the wall, "Where in heavens did this com from?"

"It came with your gowns, as did the rest of the accessories in this box, My Lad- I mean (Y/N)."

"Well it is gorgeous," I exclaimed in awe, "Well am I ready?"

"I would say you are. Prince Thranduil will have to keep a tight hold on you today. Every elf in the kingdom will be asking for a walk with you."

I blushed, "Thank you, Saevel."

She nodded with glee and gestured for the door. She answered my many questions of how, when, and where I was to greet these oncoming guests who will soon after their arrival be attending a dinner.

"There really is no need to worry, (Y\N). Thranduil will be at your side for most of the time," she said stopping at our destination.

The royal family was to attend a quick meeting before any welcomes were given, to which I was supposedly the last to arrive. As Seavel departed, a guard opened the door for me to enter.

It was a simple room. Nothing extravagant but still well kept with everything seeming to have a specific place. In the far corner stood Oropher, who held a glass of wine, and Thranduil. They were in deep conversation about something that seemed very serious and gesturing to a large map that hung on the wall. Oropher wore a forest green robe with golden threading making its way up and down the fabric. He also wore a large golden circlet with a stone of pure white in the middle. Thranduil had chosen silver for his attire. Even his circlet that was slightly smaller than the King's was pure silver.

Queen Daella seemed to be in a pleasant conversation with a few elleth servants that were holding various colors of cloth in their hands. She wore a lighter forest green to match her husband. It wrapped close around her neck and her wrists, with her shoulders being left bare. A golden necklace dangled from her neck and the golden circlet nearly blended with her shining wavy hair.

Noticing that I had entered, Daealla's eyes brightened a beautiful smile laid upon her fave.

"(Y/N)," she beamed, "You've made it! And you look magnificent."

"Thank you My Queen," I smiled.

The two elves in the corner had not noticed my arrival and I glanced their way to see if I could pick up on their conversation.

Daealla noticed their obliviousness as well and took my hands in hers as she spoke, "Let's see if we can't get those two stubborn elves to cooperate for once, shall we?"

Her spirited charm lifted my heart and allowed me to relax a bit. She made me feel as if I belonged here and it drew a childish grin from me.

"The both of you had better stop discussing business," she called, "Or I'll see to it that you'll have plenty of paperwork to do after dinner tonight."

They turned after hearing her playful threat. Finally noticing my presence, Oropher grinned widely and looked at his son who stood completely still, just staring at me with his mouth slightly parted.

Oropher let out an exasperated sigh, rolled his eyes, and lightly nudged Thranduil forward. Even though he didn't seem to notice his father's touch, Thranduil still walked towards me slowly. Silence had fallen on the room and it seemed as if he would never reach me. His eyes bore into me and I shifted on my feet feeling uncomfortable at being the center of attention.

He pulled my hands into his and was the one to break the silence.

"Never in all my years had I imagined I would ever have the honor of marrying an elleth of such heavenly beauty."

I heard the servants sigh with admiration. My cheeks had gone bright red by now and I had a hard time looking him in the eye after his compliment.

"I assure you, Thranduil, I am merely an average looking elleth," I said retracting my hands.

"I disagree," rose Oropher, "Thranduil is right to say what he did."

"Well thank you," I surrendered, "You are all too kind."

We went on to discuss the details of the day. The greetings will take place in the ballroom where the guests could mingle if they pleased, then all will retire for a few hours before returning for dinner, music, and pleasant conversation.

"There really is nothing to this," Daella assured me as she folded her arm over Oropher's, "I think we are ready."

As we exited the room, I too latched on to Thranduil's arm and allowed him to escort me to the ballroom. Behind us followed the King and Queen.

"Ouch!" It was Oropher. "What was that for," he whispered.

"Why don't you talk to me that way? You could learn a thing or two from your son," Queen Daealla quietly scolded.

I smiled to myself, thinking about how the tables seemed to have turned.