Chapter 21

Maewin's mother handed my mother the light green jewel from a velvet bag. I recognized it immediately as the gem that was the pride and joy of our treasury back home. My father had aided in the war against the Feanor and it was given to him as a gift of gratitude. The yellow sapphire was attached to a silver chain and when the candle light hit it, it gave off a green tint. Naneth lifted the chain over Thranduil's head, who had to lean downward in order to account for the height difference, and rested it on his chest. She then placed her hands on each side of his face and smiled with tears in her eyes.

"You are more than what I could have ever asked for in a husband for my daughter," she said, "Lasto iâl Thranduil ah (Y/N)'s, ah elio din Eru."

May Varda Star-kindler hear Thranduil and (Y/N)'s calls, and may Eru the Father of All bless them.

She released and went back to stand with my father.

Oropher was next. He pulled on a similar silver chain from a little wooden box held by Queen Daealla. On the end of it was the most beautiful stone I have ever seen. It was black with flecks of blue spread out across it.

"This black opal has been passed down through my family for generations, somehow making it through all of the hardships. It only seemed right that a gem such as this belongs upon an elleth who's beauty could outweigh it," he shared while lifting the chain over my head. "Sorry it doesn't match your dress, though."

I smiled and shook my head.

"It's beyond what I had ever imagined."

Oropher folded his hands over mine and said, "Tiro Thranduil ah (Y/N) Aran Einior, ah elio din Eru."

May Manwe Lord of Wind watch over Thranduil and (Y/N), and may Eru the Father of All bless them.

He released and returned to stand next to his wife.

At this time, I faced Thranduil bound my hands tightly in his. He looked completely focused on me. I looked up into his eyes and were lost in them for a moment and as he spoke the world faded from around me.

"Never in all of my years of living could I have imagine that Eru the Father of All would bless me with a bride a loving and beautiful, both inside and out, as you (Y/N). I promise from this day forward that I will honor you with all of the love that I have in my heart. I vow to value your opinion not only as my wife but also as a future Queen of Greenwood. You are the most wonderful thing to happen to me and most importantly I promise to love you unconditionally through the good days and the hard times, until and beyond death. I'll love you forever."

Don't cry. Don't cry. Just get the ring off of your finger and don't cry.

Once the silver betrothal ring was removed, it was replaced with a golden one made in the shape of leaves. It fit so perfectly it looks as if the leaves were actually part of me.

"On this day in the witness of all those around us," I began, "I surrender my heart to you, Thranduil. I promise to be caring, supportive, and patient with you no matter how difficult you may become." A few chuckles rose from the crowd and Thranduil rolled his eyes with grin. "But please, never forget the promise I am soon to make. I vow to be with you in everything you do. Even if it means I must travel through the darkest places in the land, I will follow you into death if I have to, for your safety and wellbeing is what I care for most in this world. You are my friend. You are my Prince. And by the blessings of Eru the Father of All, you are my one and only love."

He removed his betrothal and I took the golden one from Saevel and placed it upon his finger. We looked each other in the eyes one last time before turning to face everyone and I knew that even though the vows we shared were just words, we both meant every word and we would put actions to what we had said today. We intertwined our fingers and merged into the crowd of cheering elves.