It'll pass

Summary:

The aftermath. You wake up in the hospital and find comfort in the people around you

Notes:

Just picture Emily Gilmore as the mother for this thnx

-----------------------

The first thing you see when opening your eyes is blinding white, strangely calming and comforting, lulling you back to sleep again. Then in a flash, everything comes rushing back – Larousse, Reus and Detective Parker too. The first sound out of your mouth is his name.

" Hotch" you exhale, your voice throaty and painful. You're panting, unable to fill your lungs with oxygen again and you still remember – the weight of his body over yours, limp and motionless. Your throat closes in turn, and you feel a panic attack rising. Loud beeping goes off in the background. Warm hands clasp yours.

"Hey, birdie" the soft voice brings you back, and you focus on your breathing as she recites over and over - " you're okay. You're okay. Everything is okay. We are all okay "

You turn your head to your right, noting Penelope by your side. She brushes her lips over your fingers and sits back down.

"I'm here. We are all here. Everyone is okay, Y/N" her gentle touch and looks work better at calming you down than any pill ever could.

"Where am I?" you croak, and the affection she regards you with makes your eyes teary again.

"You're in the hospital"

You nod and you try not to let your mind go to Hotch again – not when your entire body reacts in uncontrollable ways. But you can't.

"Is he-" your voice cracks, your eyes pleading her, " please, is he alive?" A tear streams down your face all the way to your mouth, salt lingering there. She catches the next one with her thumb, nodding.

"He's more than fine. It was just a bullet on his right shoulder"

You swallow but the lump on your throat remains there, stubbornly.

"He had to go into surgery but he's doing okay"

Your mind blanks at the word surgery and your body shoots up, as you sit up immediately.

"I need to see him"

A painful throbbing rises from the back of your head, and air leaves your lungs again. The lights ahead becomes too much and you squeeze your eyes shut.

"Oh, honey, that's not a good idea. You have a concussion."

You let your body fall backwards on the bed again and she brushes her hands over your knuckles and wrists. You remember then that the last time you spoke with her, she was in Quantico.

"When did you arrive here?"

"Two days ago," she says. You glance around the room, taking in your surroundings. The room is small – one other chair beside hers that remains empty and no other sign of life. You taste bitter in your mouth – had they all refused to see you, after you'd put yourself in danger, after you'd risked Hotch's life too? Penelope must see your reaction because she speaks fast. A small smile painted on her face.

"I told them to head back to the hotel. They all stank so I told them to take showers. We're doing shifts between yours and Hotch's room"

That is so incredibly sweet.