Chapter I

Notes:

Hey all. to preface: this is literally my first fanfiction ever. I've written original stories before but never fanfics so i'm curious to see where this goes. I have a lot of ideas :))) hope this gets a bit of traction.

This story was started with the character's name as Saya Kuroki but I changed it Y/N ofc hope its not too confusing! 

The timeline is as follows: post JJ leaving for Pentagon, Seaver never joins, and then JJ rejoins a bit later than the show

(((also english is not my first language but I'm actively not about to let grammar errors show in this so i appreciate every comment/critic! thnx))))

--------------------------

3 years ago.

"What do you mean?" you repeat again.

Revi shoots you an exasperated look as he tears his eyes off his laptop screen.

"Aria is calling on more agents to help. This is becoming a national news sensation"

"So, SWAT?" you ask and move to the boards as you pin another face to the victim's column – a middle aged white woman with blonde hair and glasses – shot in the neck with a sniper in the central mall piazza shooting spree occurred just 2 hours ago at 11am in Dallas.

Revi shrugs, "I think not"

Just as he's about to turn to face you, Aria walks in, "The Behavioral Science Unit will join us in 30 minutes." She announces, as 2 other agents and 2 police officers follow on her footsteps.

"Nadine, please prepare them the conference room. They can use ours. Clear out anything that's useless and bring out another one of those boards to them"

"Yes, ma'am" one of the officers says and he turns to the conference room your team used not 10 minutes ago.

"What else?"

"They said they want a list of any civil unrest in Dallas for the past 5 years."

You turn at that, having thought of it too at that exact meeting before Aria had discarded it. This was a shooting spree after all – no motive, no hesitation – meaning no relation to the current situation of Dallas in itself.

The remaining police officer nods, and leaves too. The other 2 agents, Marquez and Verona wait for their own orders.

"You can go back to the first site. See if there's anything the local police missed" Aria shoots at them.

They take their cue, and once everyone is dispatched, Aria plops down on the first free chair she reaches.

"The BAU?" Revi asks, and he doesn't even bother paying attention to his laptop as he does.

Aria lets out a sigh, "Director's orders. They've been quite successful lately at offering fresh new perspectives."

"Right", Revi exhales, "So we work alongside them?"

"No. We follow their orders" she simply says and stands up, going back to whoever or whatever requests her attention first.

So, today we place nice, you think to yourself.

Hotch's POV:

Aaron Hotchner is a secure, self- confident man, and there is nothing else he feels more confident about in his life, at the moment, than his line of work. The only thing left was his career and that, he couldn't fuck up. Not even if he tried to. Not even after Haley had handed him the divorce papers ceremoniously at his office one day. Not even after knowing she'd taken their son Jack back home with her, leaving him to succumb into a dreary state of haziness and sadness. Rossi had been the first to notice his swift change of pace, the way he'd cling to the clutter of paperwork and field assignments. And the way his good mood and smiles had become a memory of the past. Not even when Garcia said something utterly ridiculous, did he gift his team with a laugh.