Black Sheep

Summary:

A new job offer, unresolved tensions with Hotch, and unspoken worries - they all surface at once.

Notes:

hey all !! im so sorry for the godawful delay.
I've no actual excuses apart from i didnt know where to head this story towardssss
buttt i think i may have found some answers. (also bcs my brain was busy with the other fic, and studying and apparently i cant do 2 things at once lmao)
and seems like i get creative ideas only when im procrastinating from uni work

but here! i leave you all with angst (im sorry lol)

(fyi: if you see grammar errors, no you didn't lol)

------------------------------

The rest of the day is a whirlwind, and you hardly leave the office. Martins had promised you'd be here, in their offices with the purpose of interrogating Reus but that never happens. He never brings it up and you dread asking him about it. Mostly because you can't bear the truth, if he is to admit that Hotch had helped in this form of interrogation they have going on: roughing people up, torturing and keeping away from food and water (the latter you assume).

But when the day is done, you're quick to leave, and happy to finally get that long-promised drink with Spencer.

You find him sitting at the bar, elbows propped up over the counter, and with a beer in hand.

"I'm so sorry" you mutter in a rush, "I didn't know it would take me this long to arrive."

Spencer smiles, "That's okay. I imagined the first day would be messy"

"How are you?" you ask as you sit down beside him. "Did you get to rest a bit after the flight and work?"

He nods, "Yes, a bit."

There's something he wants to ask and it's written on his face but you're not sure if you should broach it immediately.

"I overheard Martins and Olivier talking" he says, and you suck in a breath. Well – there it is.

How much did he hear though?

"Olivier said you have a personal connection to the case. And, well..." he looks down at the counter, "that you might transfer to the CIA in order to apprehend the terrorist cell that Reus is familiar with."

Right – so he's heard all of it then.

"I don't know if I will transfer" you admit, and the bartender leaves a bottle of beer before you, "I won't know what I'd be doing unless I accept apparently"

Realization hits you then, that maybe that is why Martins is keeping you away from Reus now. As a way to push to make a decision or maybe he fears Reus will say something to you that is confidential. So, it's all tight knit. So, why does Hotch get to help in the interrogation and you not? That's what irks you.

"And the personal connection?"

You take a large sip of your beer, taking the time to think over a right response. He seems to note that's what you're doing because he's patient. It's a tactic too, a very transparent one, but he's lenient.

"It's not only because they look similar" you start, "Few years ago, before Revi found out about Reus, he told me something that..." another sip of the beer, "that changed our friendship. I was too shell-shocked. Too..."

Stupid.

Spencer is patient, his face unchanging apart from the furrowed eyebrows.

"And we got into a very huge fight and it ended with me pushing him away, and us running headfirst into the bank while the robbery was ongoing. I-I stopped and hid and..."