Half-light

Summary:

Hotch brings up your unit in Dallas, curious to know about your past there.

---------

"Y/N?"

You look up from your paperwork to where Spencer in your left sits at, also submerged in paperwork at his desk. His are spread neatly in two piles, but the rest of the desk is a mess, notebooks and pens spread out.

"Hmm?"

The rest of the team is similarly focused, as reports take their attention.

"Do you have the report from the Mullers case?" His ears hold back the array of hair on his head, messy from always running his hands through them.

"Yes" you reply and look for it. Your desk is just a simple disorder. Not too dissimilar to Spencer's but it takes some time to find the right file.

"Here you go" he reaches over and grabs it, mumbling a tiny thanks.

You lean back on your chair, and you hear your back crack from being slouched for so long over the table. You stretch and spread your limbs like a cat and Derek catches your eyes smiling.

"Tired?" he asks, as he places his own pen down.

You shrug, "just numb"

Prentiss near him pipes up, "coffee break?"

Spencer pays no mind to them, just extends his cup at you wordlessly. It had become an automatic instinct for him, asking for coffee whenever it was mentioned. You take his cup from his hands and yours and stand up.

Derek pushes his seat away from his desk but makes no effort to move.

"How does Spence convince you to do that without saying anything? When I ask you for a favor you always hesitate"

You shrug.

"I can fill your cup" you offer.

He's still grinning stupid-big.

"Nah, that's not what I mean"

"Then what do you mean?"

"Ya know-" he starts and puts his feet up on the table. "It's like you read his mind"

You let out a breath rolling your eyes,

"It doesn't take much to know he runs solely on caffeine"

Spencer doesn't react at all, his focus so strong that nothing can break it.

"Really?" Derek asks, "Thought he needed only paper and dye, like a printer or scanner" He bunches up a piece of paper in his hand then throws it at Spence's shoulder who only looks up with furrowed eyebrows. Then as if nothing happened, he continues with his work. You're very envious of his unwavering attention span. You shift the two cups, holding the handles by a thumb in one hand and place the other hand on your hip.

"Do you want a refill or no?"

Emily stands up, letting out a small chuckle, shaking her head at you both.

"Yes please" he says, smile all teeth but your face doesn't break.

"Jeez " Derek says, studying you as you take his empty mug, "Is there anything that can make you laugh?"

You gasp, taken aback by his question.

"I laugh plenty"

"When?" he rebuts.