You Came Back

So

So. You haven't updated since October.

I know, it's been forever. Writing this book has been so difficult! But I hope to get it finished and edited just in time for FATWS. Can't believe it's almost been two years. What a journey it's been! Please let me know if you enjoyed anything you read!
Thank you for 31K!
XxLauren_Lyfe

You  Came  Back
===============
p.o.v| Elena

The longer the soldiers and I descended the stairwell, the less we could hear of the festivities from above. With every floor we passed, the bubbling voices and swells of music faded until only the buzz of Edison bulbs could be heard leading us down the dark narrow staircase.

As Maron walked sandwiched between seven armed soldiers (three in front and four behind), I was lagging a few steps behind them, my head craned up to the floors above us, waiting to hear a single footstep or catch a fleeting shadow. If he appeared now, I would be handcuffed. Unarmed. Defenseless.

I stole a glance at the soldier at the front of the line with the snake tattoo. I needed the key in his pocket if I wanted a chance to escape from this place alive. But we were in the stairwell for almost five minutes, the air around us growing denser and colder as we continued descending into the ground below.

Finally, we reached a single steel door, the glass window above it emitting a rich tungsten color. We shuffled through it one by one until we all found ourselves standing on what appeared to be a train platform.

A line of chandeliers ran down the length of the tunnel, along with a single line of track that was currently noiseless and empty. The line of soldiers led Maron along the side of the marbled tile and over to the other side of the pillars where a single door stood closed and guarded by a key pad.

"We'll keep General Maron in the bunker until the transport car arrives," the leading soldier instructed in Russian, and he gestured the soldier behind him towards the black phone hanging on the center pillar.

"Yes sir," he replied, beginning to turn the numbered dial.

I followed the rest of the soldiers towards the door on the right, eyeing both the code being entered and the fire axe that was encased in glass on the wall. The leading soldier opened the bunker door and gathered the men inside just as a rumble ricocheted through the ground and across the walls. A few rusted wall tiles clattered onto the floor, and the soldier calling on the telephone gripped onto the pillar in panic.

"What was that?" The snake-tattooed man shouted in Russian, marching back into the hallway and glancing toward the stairwell before turning his attention to me. "You— do you know anything of this?"

I was pressed up against the wall, having felt the vibrations of the blast through both my hands and feet. "No," I answered, lying through my teeth.