Now Is Not The End

A/N: Few short things! First, another thank you to all the support on the last chapter! I hope you will all continue to read this book! There're twists and turns that really resemble the Agent Carter TV series!
Here are some photo references of people they will get to know along the way, and neither are very welcomed at first.
Thanks for 9K! We're almost there!!
XxLauren_Luv <3

§Now  Is  Not  The  End §
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
p.o.v: Peggy

The next morning, Steve and I headed to the SHIELD facility that I had previously begun working at a couple days back. After shuffling through the crowd of agents that had gathered around us, we managed to squeeze into the back elevator alone.

I reached my hand out to press the top floor button, and simultaneously, I could feel his long fingers wrapping around the one that had remained at my side. Immediately, my pulse quickened, and when I turned to look at him, it seemed to slow to a stop. All I could do was smile, and after a moment of standing beside him, I saw his forehead begin to wrinkle out of the corner of my eye.

"Hey, Peg," he wondered out loud.

The quickening of my pulse had returned. "Yes?"

"Are you nervous?"

The scoff that escaped me came out a bit more bombastic than I had intended. "What? Why would I.."

"Cuz I can feel your hand sweating," he answered with an amused flinch of his brows.

My face contorted at the allegation, my tone high-pitched and defensive. "Sweating? Nonsense. They're just a tad.." My vocabulary failed me. "Damp."

"You know that means the exact same thing," Steve said as a smile began to spread onto his face, but when he caught my expression that was still shrouded in distress, it fizzled away.

"What're you nervous about?" He asked inquisitively, and he glanced down at his clothes self-consciously. "Me?"

I didn't answer, avoiding his eyes and looking down to our hands where he had subconsciously been rubbing circles into my palm.

His voice suddenly lost volume. "Us?" He guessed with a tinge of sadness.

I frowned and turned our hands to study them at different angles. "I'm just not sure how they're going to react to me..." I lost myself in the tangle of our fingers as I realized that had actually been a lie. I knew exactly how they were going to react to me openly being with Steve, and it would bring nothing good to my situation that had already encountered its first complication.

Steve turned towards me thoughtfully, and when I looked up into his sea foam eyes, I expected them to be cold or defensive. But that couldn't have been farther from the truth.

"Know what?" He began, his voice slow and warm. "How about.." He looked down at our hands, and my eyes widened as I felt him beginning to pull away. "We don't do this?"

My eyes darted around him in alarm. "What?"

His voice remained tender and considerate. "How about we keep things.. work-based, while we're figuring all of this out? That way, we can focus on our jobs and.. you don't have to worry about what people might say about you."

My hand felt cold and limp without his, and I couldn't help but move closer to his deep earnest eyes. "You'd do that for me?" I asked in bafflement.

He moved his eyebrows down as he nodded confidently. "Besides, it'll help when we work together. We won't be so.." He blinked a couple times before his eyes shifted downwards. "Distracted," he said in a low octave as his eyes moved from my white blouse down to my slate gray skirt that hugged my hips and ended just above my knees.