Someday

Hello, there. Long time no see. My absence can be summarized with the following: funeral, illness, grief, writer's block, school, birthday, and holiday. To make up for it, I made a new cover and wrote you a nice chapter; the most difficult one I've written though because I realized just how carried away you can get with your OTP, and I literally had to cut out so much.
P.S: I haven't stopped staring at this picture for the past two days. 😆
XxLauren_Luv

§Someday§
=-=-=-=-=-=
p.o.v: Elena

The twenty-four hours after my meeting with Rogers went by in such a blur that I caught myself questioning if the entire encounter had just been a dream.

I woke up in a cold sweat the next morning and gripped onto the sheets as the memories creeped back into my consciousness like a virus. "You'll do this if you want to keep your father safe." "Your past doesn't have to define you, Alena."

I tried to blink the voices away, but they kept returning, each one stronger than the last. "I don't have to to do anything for people like you." "If not, the entire operation is compromised, as will be the fate of you and your father."

No. This couldn't have all happened. That had been a nightmare. Just an awfully vivid...

My eyes got caught on to the wallet sized picture frame that was staring up at the ceiling on my bedside table. It was my father's picture of me. The only way it could be here was if...

My head spun dizzily. Was if all of it had been true. HYDRA dragging me back into their schemes, killing my father although they had ensured his safety on the pledge that I would help them.

I squinted as images from last night flooded in. I must've taken the long way home because I remembered walking along the Brooklyn bridge. At one point I slowed to a stop beside the railing and leaned myself against it, my eyes glancing down at the churning water below.

It really wasn't that far of a jump. Maybe I too was destined to die with the same sharp suddenness as my father.

I continued to stare, inhaling a breath that was so cold it left a burning sensation in my lungs. I lifted my foot, hovering it over the first rung of the railing for what seemed like an eternity. But then I started to feel it returning back to the ground. I began walking past the bridge and into the shadowed streets on the other side, the adrenaline dissipating at the same rate at which it came. That wasn't the way I was supposed to die. I could feel it.

And neither was dying at the hands of HYDRA, even though I knew that as efficiently as they disposed of my father, they were planning to dispose of me. It was only a matter of time, and after contemplating on whether or not I should stay to sight revenge, I knew it would be best to run. I would attain a new name and identity when I was far enough away, and I would, once again, remain hidden from this shadow that was growing ever-present behind me. It was the only way I could survive without my past catching up and devouring all the progress I had made in distancing myself from the monster they made me.

I ended up spending the next day scrapping my apartment, wiping any prints or DNA that would help them track me. My brown leather bag had nothing but clothes and weapons that were hidden under the various fabrics, and I used my pair of scissors to cut my blonde hair back to a wavy shoulder length, using the skills and techniques I had acquired from doing the other girls' hair over the years. At sundown, I put on a black wide-rimmed hat to cover my face and tied a grey wool overcoat around my lean frame, slipping four separate knifes into the folds on my clothes before slipping out into the night and making my way towards the train station.

The strength of the moonlight was pale and profound as I blended in with the night crowd and descended into Pennsylvania Station, approaching the ticket window with my face still concealed.