Far From Normal

This is a revised edition of my last chapter. Please read even if you read the last one because the plot has changed.
Vote/Comment!!
XxLauren_Luv

|Far   From   Normal|
=-=-=-=-=-=-=
p.o.v: Peggy

Moonglow by Artie Shaw eased out of the multi-colored jukebox next to us as Angie took another drink of her sparkling champagne. "So I told em," she continued over the chatter of the restaurant. "You're either gonna schedule my appointment with that doctor a' yours or I'm gonna crawl over the counter and write a slip for one myself!"

We all erupted in laughter. "You were that taken with him?" I asked from the other side of the booth.

"Oh, you betcha!" She answered as she threw an arm around Thomas's shoulder. Her eyes danced longingly over the side of his long face. "And I tell ya, when I went in for my appointment, I got quite the good check-up indeed." She spared us a wink, causing us to laugh even more. Except for Thomas, who was just smiling with a pink tinge on his cheeks.

"So how long has it been then?" Steve inquired as his drink covered his amused grin.

Angie twirled the dark hair below Thomas's red ears. "About... three months, two days, and 11 hours. But who's counting?" She let out another light bubbly laugh that caused her brown curly hair to bounce.

"That's wonderful, darling," I chimed in with a smile. "Truly."

"Yeah? Well I thought hell, I'm nearly thirty, it's about time I started putting myself out there instead of waiting for someone to stroll up and sweep me off my feet, ya know?" She casted her eyes over Steve and I. "Not all of us have that luxury."

I chuckled softly at her insinuation. "Yes, well, it wasn't always easy for me. You know."

Angie's eyebrows jumped up. "Oh, yes, I remember. How on Earth did you survive saying no to all those men?" She gave me a mockingly sympathetic look.

My lips parted. "I did not!"

"Oh, come on. You never gave one of em a chance." She leaned forward and patted my hand softly. "It's okay, English. I understand why now." She looked over Steve and his suit with a knowing smile.

"Preposterous," I muttered as my last reply, and once I leaned back in the booth, I noticed Steve was wearing a little smirk of his own. I swatted at his sleeve, causing him to chuckle quietly.

"So how are things going between you two?" She inquired.

Thomas nodded. "Yeah, it's been a while since we've last gotten together."

"Well.." I glanced over at Steve. "You know. Our line of work sometimes makes it hard to get out."

"Don't you guys work for a government?"

I glanced at Thomas, my lips pressing together. "Sort of."

"Wow. That's some serious stuff, Peg," Angie acknowledged almost as a warning as she dove into my share of the apple cobbler.

I paused, frowning a little. "Yes, but it's.. all I know. All—" I gestured to Steve, "we know."

"Well yeah, but," her eyebrows lowered, and I couldn't tell whether she was just concentrating on getting enough cobbler on her spoon. "Don't you guys.. wanna settle down anytime soon?"

Steve leaned forward. "Yes—"

"No," I answered simultaneously.

Steve looked over at me, and I turned my head towards him, waiting for him to clarify, but he never did. The moment soon began to stretch into several.