3

"I have a meeting at 12 but I should be able to pencil you in for around 2." I mumbled, lazily scribbling down my clients name into a Wednesday slot—@ 2 with Mary-Ann.

"That should be fine." The older woman responds. There's a short moment of silence before she says something else. "Dating anyone yet?"

I roll my eyes at the question. I met Mary-Ann two years ago. She walked into my office and asked me to find her a piece that showed someone's struggle. I showed her Christina's World by Andrew Wyeth and she wrote a check for $1,800 the same day. Personally I think she has too much money for her own good and has no idea what to do with it.

"And that concerns you how exactly?" I ask.

"I keep telling you Jennifer, you're too young and too beautiful to not have a man—scratch that, men groveling at your feet." Mary-Ann says and I cringe at the name Jennifer. She knows that's not my name but continues to call me it anyways.

"I don't want men groveling at my feet or any man for that matter."

"We all want a man groveling at our feet."

" I don't." I tell her. "Why must our conversations always turn into this?"

Mary-Ann chuckles on the line. "I'm a nosy old woman. My kids live on the other side of the country and my grandchildren barely talk to me, so excuse me if I search for entertainment wherever I may find it."

"Glad to know my love life is a source for your entertainment Mary-Ann and as much as I'd love to talk to you all day, I'm afraid I must get back to work."

"Is this you saying you don't want to speak to me anymore?"

"Yes." I smile.

"Hm, okay. I'll see you Wednesday dear. Hopefully by then you'll have a date."

"Goodbye Mary-Ann." I finish and end the call. If it were anyone else trying to pry into my love life, I would've already told them to mind their damn business but Mary-Ann wasn't anyone else. She was stubborn, glamorous, and sometimes her voice was so raspy you'd think she just got done smoking a pack of Marlboro. I liked the old lady so I didn't have the heart to tell her to mind her damn business.

My phone buzzed with a text message.

Lisa: Are we still doing lunch?

Lisa: You better not bail on me

Lisa: I'll meet you outside MET x

I smile a little. I open the chain of messages and quickly respond.

Me: I guess I have no choice lol let me know when you get here.

I slip my phone into my back pocket and step out of my office. Seulgi and our intern Doyeon are huddled over a computer screen whispering amongst each other. I raise an eyebrow in curiosity and take a few steps over to them.

Seulgi must have heard me approaching because the second she glances over her shoulder, she closes the laptop shut.

"Hey, I was reading-" Doyeon starts but stops once she follows Seulgi's gaze. "Oh. Hey, Jennie. Do you need me to do anything?"

"What were you guys looking at?" I ask, nodding towards the computer.

"Oh we were just-"

"Nothing." Seulgi cuts Doyeon off. "Some stupid article," she shrugs her shoulders.

Our intern scoffs at Seulgi words. "It wasn't some 'stupid' article. You know about that guy that owns the huge building downtown right? Jongin Kim? GQ just announced that he's engaged to that actress Naeun Son. They're on the cover and boy, that ring is fucking ridiculous. I'm a little jealous. Wait, look, I think it's still up."