2

The wine I clung close to all night buzzed through me. Each sip brought a warmth with it but also a chill. I felt on edge, like I was exposed and everyone could see through every smile I forced onto my lips and everything I said. I knew I was good at faking everything but was I still good under the influence of alcohol?

"We'll do lunch sometime this week?" Lisa presses a drunk kiss against my cheek. I squeeze her hand in return. For the sake of Sehun and Lisa's overreacting, I'll have to remind myself to plan something in the week with her.

I walk out of the apartment with Chanyeol and Baekhyun towering on both sides of me. I could hear Naeun giggling behind us and I did my best to keep an eye roll from happening. Again, I am not bitter just drunk. Slowly, we all pile into the elevator. I almost made the decision to slip past them and take the stairs instead but Baekhyun tightened his arm around my own and kept me by his side.

"Wasn't that lovely?" Baekhyun says. I don't have to look at him to know there's a smile on his face. "Which reminds me, I might need your help if you have time for me," he adds, looking down at me.

"Depends." I mumble. My eyes settled on the back of Jongin's head. I briefly look at the arm that's secured around Naeun's waist to keep her from stumbling and I swallow down the piping hot jealousy that threatens to rise in my throat.

"On what?"

"If I have the strength to put up with you for more than thirty minutes."

"You'll be fine." He says, nonchalantly. "I'm redecorating the living room and I think it needs Jennie's touch."

Before I could say anything, Naeun's voice beats me to it. She turns in Jongin's arms and looks at me expectantly. "What...what do you do?" The words fall from her lips messily as if she's trying to get her words out right.

My eyes fall to the sparkling diamond wrapped around her finger as she grips Jongin's shoulder. I'd been trying to get a glance at the ring all night, trying to...trying to see if- the worry in my chest deflated when I realized it wasn't.

"Art Curator." I simply answer. "I work for the Metropolitan Museum of Art and I also have a few clients that I work with."

"The MET? Oh my god, that's perfect!" Naeun grins. She jumps a little and pulls on Jongin's suit jacket. "We've been looking for a place of our own and I-I wanted to make the place beautiful but I think I need help. Will you help us?"

In the confinement of that elevator, I decided I had the worst luck because I knew I couldn't say no because if I said no, it would make me look like the bitter ex—at least that's how I saw it. I could feel Baekhyun's eyes on me and Chanyeol even looked up from his phone for the first time since we entered the elevator. From the corner of my eye, I could see Jisoo's body shaking for just a moment and I knew she was laughing at my unluckiness.

But what I pay attention most to is Jongin's silence. I know he wants me to say no and I could, I really could but then I look at the ring again and unwarranted jealousy courses through me again.

"Of course." I nod. "Send me a text sometime this week. You could get my number from Jongin or Jisoo."

It felt so awkward saying it. You could get my number from Jongin or Jisoo. The Jongin I haven't really spoken to in two years and the Jisoo that's distanced herself from me. Yet I said it anyways because wine was buzzing through me and so was jealousy that had no right being there.

"Perfect!" She smiles, so endearingly.

"Wow and you have to find strength to deal with me?" Baekhyun grumbles.